The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Let me start out by saying that this has been a very weird archery season. With temps changing from one extreme to the next and a hurricane coming through! I have been reading others having a very frustrating season the same as myself. Others were having great seasons. I was surely getting bummed out from no good buck sightings! As you can see by the above pictures it turned around in a big way.

I shot this buck on Nov 3rd. I hunted this area three times that week. I seen 3 other bucks in the area. two days prior to harvesting this buck I was hunting the evening in the area. A doe came running by with a 4pt, 6pt and 7pt in hot pursuit! The 4pt was the biggest buck of the three bucks. I decided to come back on saturday since I was hunting another spot on Friday with my cousin. Saturday came and my dad hunts with me on Saturdays. I told him that we were going up where I have been seeing some bucks. I placed my dad right where I have been seeing all the bucks. I moved another spot that I have been hunting about 300 yards from him. At 7:45am a doe came by, I actually thought about shooting her but left her go. I hung my bow back up and thought to myself I better stay standing since a buck may come by trailing her. After a few minutes went by I looked back the trail to see a buck on his way towards me. I could tell instantly that he was a shooter and he is not one of the bucks that I have been seeing in the area. I watched him for about 15 minutes. Finally he gave me a 17 yard shot. I hit him perfectly, I watched him run about 50 yards and I seen him crash. Then the addrenaline kicked in and I started to shake bad. I had to sit and I pulled my radio out to call my dad. I told him what had happened, he said that he would be up at 9am to help trail him. When he arrived I told dad that he was down but I could not see him from my stand. We started trailing him and my dad stopped and said there he is. I think my dad was just as excited as I was. After hunting together for 32 years we still love to be together and we are always pushing one another to be successful. I was glad dad was with me to share the experience. It made that day even more special.

The other picture is my cousin and I together with our bucks. The day before I shot my buck, I was hunting with him in a different location. I went back in the following day and shot this buck. We both connected on great bucks on the same day. I told him that we will never have day together like this one.

Both these bucks were taken on public ground! Like many people have said, you can not kill a buck sitting at home! That keeps me motivated to go every day that I can no matter how bad the deer movement has been, it takes a few seconds to change your entire season!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both were taken in Franklin county.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts