The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so im currently 19 years old and finally making enough money to start building a nice gun collection one thing i don't have is a muzzeloader im interested in a flintlock but just don't know much about them so what would be a good place to start im not loaded and don't want to spend more then 3 or 4 hundred on one any ideas on brands? or maybe you have something you would be willing to sell me or maybe just a little advice anything would be helpful thanks

-Zack

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Lyman Deerstalker, RMC Accusporter, although they are a little more...

You got The firestorm by T/C...

Traditions makes a flinter well priced...

And Lyman makes a few other models such as the Great Plains.

My recommendation would be to get yourself a used T/C Renegade, or Hawkin... can be found on gunbroker.com for great prices. One of the best built flinters of all time...

Or you can get a new Lyman for $300-$400 depending on where you get it... shop around, you can find a good deal.

Good luck Zack and happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
spiretnugent is right zack. i got my deerstalker brand new for $290 i dont think youll find them that cheap anymore but i do see them for about 340...its an awesome gun

just my experience...i had a T/C Firestorm when i was 11 and all i had was problems. The frizzen was junk, sights were terrible and the synthetic stock makes the gun not balance well...i had the gun for a month and exchanged it for a deerstalker.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
also on the firestorn the hammer was loose, we even tried tighening the screw but it was still pretty loose (you gould wiggle it about 1/4")

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
scott and stalk said:
i had a T/C Firestorm when i was 11 and all i had was problems. The frizzen was junk, sights were terrible and the synthetic stock makes the gun not balance well...i had the gun for a month and exchanged it for a deerstalker.
I heard alot of mixed reviews on that gun... kept me from buying one a few years back.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
ya it could have been just a coincidence taht i got a fluke bad gun but i just wanted to let him know before hand....also i think the firestorm is made more for sabots and conicals...i was shooting round balls and the groups were huge (10")

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
scott and stalk said:
T/C is and inline company if you ask me...
The Renegades and Hawkins of the past were the best built flinters the market offered IMO.

But they don't make them like they used to.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
zack if you can find a T/C Pennsylvania Hunter i would HIGHLY recommend that gun. my dad has one and it is my favorite gun i have ever shot. the sights are very very accurate (not big like other flinters that have a big front post that cover half the deer) and the gun balances exceptionally well...

i cant speak for hawkens and renegeades as i never shot one but i think with the info that Nuge and I gave you can at least have an idea of some good ones

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had a traditions flinter and had a rough time with that gun. I just bought the lyman deerstalker for 340 just like scott and stock said. I absolutely LOVE that little gun. Light weight and it always goes off. Cannot wait to take it out on the 26th

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
goodluck this year ZJ...and i agree with the traditions guns...the ramrod has that big space between it and the barrel and can get snagged or broken off easily...the deerstalker has the ramrod tucked nicely against the barrel

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Lyman or older TC Hawkens or Renagade.If you are starting out,go with a 50cal.The stuff you need to get started will be easier to find.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i see reviews are all going in the same direction haha i shot an old hawkens and i liked the set trigger that would be nice but my brother just traded for a lyman and it looks pretty decent havent found time to shoot it yet tho

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
cant go wrong with lyman, they offer many gun styles so they should have what your looking for whether it be a shorter gun like the deerstalker or a longer one likee the great plains gun...and they have some with set triggers. my deerstalker is single trigger and i dont know if they offer the deerstalker with a set trigger

·
Registered
461 Posts
i shoot a traditions sheandoah, shoots great good balance. very happy with it. seems the complaints about the traditons guns are the lower end entry guns. good luck to you what ever you buy, have a blast

1 - 16 of 16 Posts