The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 yr old, Ty, and I headed out after school for a pm hunt with the inline. Ty has been hunting hard, with his bow, and since Saturday with the inline, and was determined to kill his first deer. We chose to sit in an elevated box blind overlooking a thicket on one side, and Ag fields on the other. Almost immediately upon settling in, I spotted two button buck browsing through the thick briars in front of us. Ty readied the muzzleloader, but in the twenty plus minutes we had the deer in range, they never offered Ty a "clean" shot. The next group we saw were six doe and fawns. They came from the woods into the field we were overlooking, but were at 160 yards. That was too far for my young hunter, so all we could do is watch. Half an hour had passed, and we were still watching the group of deer when Ty spotted a lone deer feeding within 75 yards of our stand. Once again I handed him the smoke-pole and he eased the gun to his shoulder. The button buck was unaware of our presence, and was working his way even closer. At 60 yards Ty cocked the hammer, and prepared for the shot. I gave Ty the green light and the gun cracked. Ty made a perfect hit and the deer fell in it's tracks! It was a great first kill.

Getting ready for the shot

Seconds before the shot

Seconds after the shot

A happy young man

You might remember just a few of Ty's close calls that have made this season a memorable one so far...
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2391277#Post2391277

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2382909#Post2382909

He will now continue his quest for his first antlered deer.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Great Shot TY!!! Congrats on your first.

Great Post Dad, Congrats to you too..

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
What load are you shooting for your little guy? My son can shoot a .243 (Ruger youth model). My son too has been out with the xbow (he missed Sat). I remember on Sat thinking if we would have the muzzle loader he most likely would have connected but with 100gr I think that would be to much for him.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Buddy of mine is using one Triple 7 pellet for his MY hunters. They killed a doe with that load Saturday and it only went 50 yds. Have no idea what bullet he's using tho.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Still remember my first deer as well, as he will forever. Thanks for sharing this with us.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jmdb25 said:
What load are you shooting for your little guy? My son can shoot a .243 (Ruger youth model). My son too has been out with the xbow (he missed Sat). I remember on Sat thinking if we would have the muzzle loader he most likely would have connected but with 100gr I think that would be to much for him.
Our exact load was a TC 200 grain sabot bullet, 100 grains of Hodgdon pyrodex pellets, and a Winchester triple 7 209 primer. A hodge-podge of a load...but it works for me.
I, myself, typically shot a heavier bullet (usually a 295) but got the 200 grains for Ty with the thought of using less grains of powder for the youth hunter. When I shot the bullets with 100 grains of powder, I was satisfied that Ty would easily handle the load. As others said before, if recoil is an issue, practice with a lighter load, but at showtime, load the full deal. At the time of the shot, Ty didn't feel a thing.
Later, I ask if it kicked, and he replied he didn't remember.
Biggest thing during practice is EAR PROTECTION. I'm convinced most kids are actually afraid because of the noise and inadvertently blame the kick. JMO

1 - 20 of 32 Posts