The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good broad head target out there. The cheaper the better but in any case let me know what works.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I own a Rinehart but have yet to shoot a broadhead at it. Everything I read and was told said that Rinehart targets are great for broadheads. I was told to stay away from the Block (layered foam) targets if you want to shoot broadheads and I know from experience that they get cut up from broadheads. I think it is hard to find a target that will withstand broadheads. So far my Rinehart has worked well for field tips and it is the 18-1 so I just shoot a different side each time and that helps extend it's life. Also as I had wrote in your other post I don't target practice with broadheads much so I don't worry too much about have a good broadhead target.

·
Super Moderator
7,775 Posts
I would suggest you avoid The Block or similar layered targets. I had one for a while, and it stood up tremendously well to field points. Less than 150 shots of broadheads and it was too soft to shoot. The broadheads cut through multiple layers, and when you withdraw the arrow, slivers of foam get EVERYWHERE (ask my wife!). This quickly degrades the stopping power of the target. I now only use it for my daughter to shoot her youth bow into.

I bought a Bone Collector broadhead target. It wasn't necessarily cheap (they're around $70-$80), but it's stood up to a pounding from broadheads and still stops my FMJ's with broadheads at under 20 yards with only occasional instances of the broad head peeking out the reverse side.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
We used to shoot our broadheads at a real el cheapo foam target from Wal-Mart, about 4" thick foam. It would stop your arrow before the fletch got to the foam but then you had to unscrew the head and pull the arrow back out, then reattach the head to shoot again. I quickly learned the hard way not to shoot 3 shot groups with broadheads!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I shoot broadheads at my block target. A little trick I use is when a hole is formed from shooting I fill it with some expandable foam insulation,this has worked for me.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
Buy a yellow jacket.I've had one going on three years and it's holding up fine.I keep two BH's in my quiver year tound and take a hadful of shots with them everytime I practice.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
I have the Block and shoot at my buddy's Rhinhart. My Block started falling apart after a couple of shots. We put way more shots into the Rhinhart and it still looks like new.

My next target will be the Rhinhart!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
dce said:
Buy a yellow jacket.I've had one going on three years and it's holding up fine.I keep two BH's in my quiver year tound and take a hadful of shots with them everytime I practice.
I agree!!!

Regardless of the claims,layered targets are not good with broadheads
Yep!!!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive got two block targets actually and one of them looks like the one you just showed us. I shot broad heads at it last year and tore it to shreds. I stuffed all the stuff back in it and still use it for field points but i want something i can shoot broad heads at. Ill look into the yellow jacket, thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Deer, especially larger bucks make very nice targets. They only take one shot though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Gotta go with the Yellow Jacket, had a Block 4x4, broadhead stuck out the back from the first shot. Yellow Jacket even stops my crossbow consistent with out getting to the fletching. Don't shoot field tips into it, very tough to get out.

·
Super Moderator
12,812 Posts
I use insulation left over from my house. It came in 4X8 sheets. I cut them in half to make them 3 deep. The broad head goes through the insulation and I screw the heads of from the back side to remove the shaft. Been using the same target for 10 years plus some field point shooting.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I used to use the 3" thick cheap foam archery targets for BH's. They worked well because you can shoot the target, unscrew the head and pull the shaft out then put the BH back on. The only problem is they will wear out if you shoot the same area with BH's and you will eventually get pass thrus if you don't shoot different spots all the time. Then I bought 2 blob targets now that is all I use for broadheads. They aren't cheap but they hold up well to broadhead use.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I too have been doin some searching for a good broadhead target. I am thing of getting one called the the Range King, it is made by American Whitetail, here is the website you can check them out. If anyone has one of these let us know how it works please .Companyhttp://www.archerytargetsonline.com/

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I just purcased a Hybrid King A/P block target made by American Whitetal. I purcased mine from The Sportsmans Guide. I was lucky enough to still have a $10 off coupon from when I joined last fall so it cost me just of $30, and that included shipping. I should get it in the next two weeks as it was on back order. OnceI get it I'll post some pics and reviews. Its my first broadhead target.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My Black Hole is my oldest layer target. The middle is pretty chopped up. I use it for broadheads. I have chunks of evafoam that I rescued from computer equip. boxes at work. I cut a circle, the size of the one on the Black Hole, and hot melt glued it on the face of the target. Works great for broadheads.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Rinehart takes the cake. Been shooting in one for four years (two of us) with broadheads and it looks like it'll make it another decade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts