The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in time for bear season comes the second issue of a new online magazine called Bear Hunters Online. In it is an article by yours truly about a highly successful bear gang in the Bradford area (McKean County) called the Rudy Luce Bear Camp. I don't want to make this an advertisement, but to see it you have to subscribe. (It's only $5.99 for a year -- 6 issues. Click on "Back Issues" --and I think you'll be able to read the first issue for free.)

Also in this issue is a pictorial spread of Pennsylvania wildlife artist Jack Paluh's paintings of bears, some tips on snow tracking, and a picture of a bear hibernating in an eagle's nest.

The Rudy Luce Bear Camp has taken over 100 bears, a couple of times 8 in one day. Worth reading with bear season less than a week away.

Steve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I know of a Clinton County gang that has well over 200 bears to their credit and I think there is only 15-17 people and some of them are young kids. I'm not saying names but anyone from that area knows or has heard of them. I'm pretty sure too that they killed 12 last year in archery alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Thats an add right? Along with the article a while back that all lead up to the info on how to buy one particular gland lure for scrapes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
croz2173 said:
Thats an add right? Along with the article a while back that all lead up to the info on how to buy one particular gland lure for scrapes?
If you think it's an ad then don't open it. I got nothing for mentioning pre-orbital gland lure, and I get nothing for mentioning this magazine. Just one beggar telling others where they can get a sandwich.

Steve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
i know the renovo gang that hunts clinton.. they put fur on the ground and dont stop til everyone in the gang gets one.. thats detication right there, these aint your average bear drives either.. much respect to them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Sorry Steve, shouldnt assume that about you. Im used to seeing things i cant trust in magazines due to a specific product being promoted.
When you think about it really wouldnt make sense that youd be getting any money for either of these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
croz2173 said:
Sorry Steve, shouldnt assume that about you. Im used to seeing things i cant trust in magazines due to a specific product being promoted.
When you think about it really wouldnt make sense that youd be getting any money for either of these.
No problem. This Internet magazine thing is somewhat in experimental stages. Many of them are free. Without the cost of paper (which is footballed all over the place and supply is often uncertain) and the continually rising cost of postage, the expenses of an Internet magazine are much lower. I've lobbied for making this one free, because with so much free info on the Internet it will be hard to compete. But on the other hand, bear hunting info is not as widespread as deer and turkey, and the hunters are deeply dedicated, so maybe a nominal fee will work for this -- at least until they gin up the advertising.

Incidentally, even I have to pay the $5.99 to get a copy of the stuff I write.

Steve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
I live and hunt Clinton County and have hunted with the Renovo gang once. The guy I went with shot one and they killed 6 the 2nd day that year while I was there. The land is amazing there and not for the faint of heart. I thought I was in shape being a slender young man and I seriously was hoping they would drag me out...Tough hunting but very rewarding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
I know the Renovo guys as well...I will probably see them first thing Saturday morning as their first drive of the day is usually right through Camp Run Hollow where my camp is...theyve shot bear within yards of my outhouse before haha. They are a good group of guys and have a lot of luck, mostly due to the older members of the gangs knowledge of every inch of those bear drives. They are definitely good to have around, they get the bear moving!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speedbeef Down! said:
I know the Renovo guys as well...I will probably see them first thing Saturday morning as their first drive of the day is usually right through Camp Run Hollow where my camp is...theyve shot bear within yards of my outhouse before haha. They are a good group of guys and have a lot of luck, mostly due to the older members of the gangs knowledge of every inch of those bear drives. They are definitely good to have around, they get the bear moving!
Tell them about Bear Hunters Online. I mentioned the Renovo group to the editor and he asked if I could do an article on them for next year.

Steve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
There are a few good bear gangs in the Renovo area and I am not sure which one you are speaking of. I hunt with one of them and am sure that they would decline any publicity. Shirley Grenoble asked to do an article last year and we declined. We love to hunt bear but do not need or want any more attention. Thanks for the interest, have a great season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bomax36 said:
There are a few good bear gangs in the Renovo area and I am not sure which one you are speaking of.
I don't know any of them in Clinton Co. I'm only going by what Speedbeef Down, spangler2k3, and jed74 said.

Steve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I'm one of the old timers from Rudy Luce Camp. Thanks for the article Steve. I haven't read it yet but I'll tell the guys at camp where to look it up. All packed up and headed for camp in an hour or so. Hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Sounds like an awesome gang to hunt with. I have been blessed with a similar gang, although we havn't been around as long and havn't put as much black on the ground. I have been with them for about 12-13 years and to my best knowledge we are somewhere around 35-40 bears. 3 of us have been on almost every drive in those years. (the other 2 were doing it a few years before I got involved) We usually only have 4-7 guys, gaining or losing a guy or 2 each season. The best we ever did was 5 bears in 1 day with 7 guys, and had a year with 3 bears in 1 day with 4 guys. This is due largely in part by our gang leader spending countless hours scouting every year, and all members willing to hunt deep in the woods in some tough country.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rapidroy said:
I'm one of the old timers from Rudy Luce Camp. Thanks for the article Steve. I haven't read it yet but I'll tell the guys at camp where to look it up. All packed up and headed for camp in an hour or so. Hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe season.
Thanks for the kudo, Rapidroy. Bob A. has a copy and I'm assuming he'll be posting it at camp for all to read.

With several posts on this thread (including the latest by deucebump), hunters should be getting an idea what it takes to kill bears consistently in Pennsylvania.

Steve.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top