The Outdoor Community banner

A Few Stone points and a Whatzit??????

3161 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  runningdeer
Here are a few points I have found over the years and what I think is a grind stone.

Can someone identify the stone tool. I have some ideas but realy just guessing.
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
looks like a sharpening stone--notice the groove where the arrowheads and such were constantly rubbed back and forth to sharpen --some arrowheads were sharp from just flaking the edges--some stone didn't flake very well and were sharpened by rubbing on another stone with sand to get sharp edges--I also found 2 of the stones with the sharpening groves in them--NICE FIND
Nice finds for sure !
I dont think it is for sharpening because the groove is to deep. If you would rub a point in the groove it would only dull it.To my thinking if you were trying to sharpen a stone point it would be the same as sharpening a knife. A much lower angle drawn across the surface of the stone. Like sharpening a knife on a wet stone.

My theory is it is either used in making arrow shafts to smooth and burnish or to condition rawhide strips or sinew to make lacing or bow strings ect.
you might be right lots of questions about some of the things we find---makes it fun
Good eye long hunter, and you are correct about the point sharpening. Actually the sharpest a point will be is when it is first struck. Believe it or not chert is sharper than surgical steel. In the Archaic tradition the "Brewerton Culture" used strong basal grinding thus maybe the use of the ground stone artifact. Your point about an arrow shaft smoother could also be a possibility however most that I have seen are sandstone. Nice finds keeps us all thinking.....
Hard to say what that thing is.....Grooved like it is gonna be hafted...But for what ?
I sent picture to a freind here is what he says about it.

A couple of guesses: I am puzzled by the grooves at both ends. But here is my best guess
•plummet stone - Though most have a groove only at one end. The are usually also a little more egg-shaped. The groove is to attach a cord. Exact use unknown. Perhaps used as a heavy net weight or as weights on bolas. However, they are usually found in the Northeast.
•It has the general shape of a pestle, but I would have a better idea if I could handle it personally and see if it had end wear.
GW, If he would like to see more pictures i can take some. The tool is only grooved on one side. Or if he is in reasonable driving distance it could be examined personaly. this thing has a few people who know a whole lot more than me stumped.
We both live 30 min south of Lancaster off of rt 896. How far away are you?
Northern lebanon county. Not realy that far.
man those are some awesome finds!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts