The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just playing around yesterday trying to get some squirrel shots.

Griz

This little guy found himself a bomb shelter. Every time a hawk flys overhead he runs for the drain pipe.

To me this was the shot of the day when this one launched itself off of that log.

·
Registered
33 Posts
great action shot griz! i like the one before it too. looks like he's thinking "oh it's this guy again"

·
Registered
411 Posts
Griz,
I just got my first slr and am trying to learn about it. What did you shoot these at? The exposure to shutter relationship is a bit confusing. I dont seem to be getting really crisp shots.

·
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What did you shoot these at?
The one jumping from the stump was shot at 1/1000, f13, ISO 3200 the light was low so I had to jack up the ISO which till then had been between 400 to 800.
It takes some playing around with to get used to it and shooting fast moving squirrels or birds is the best teacher.
It's a good thing we have digital, can you imagine the cost to shoot all that stuff if you had to pay for 35mm processing and printing?

Hope that helps
Oh, also shoot either in the manual or P mode, stay away from auto. Another good tip make sure your color settings are on AdobeRGB you will get richer color when you edit.

Griz

·
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same launch log but different squirrel

Can anyone ID this strange looking bird?

Griz

·
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Penguins06 here ya go. Dang PM's have been acting goofy for the last couple of days, don't have a clue whats up with that.

Griz

Just a heads up I don't know what camera you have but if its a Digital SLR get on Amazon.com in the book section. Search under Magic Lantern books for your camera by model and order the book.
It makes understanding your camera and the various settings a breeze. Its written and illustrated with photos in easy to understand terms, not like those dang owners manuals that come with the cameras. Every time I get a new camera I order the Magic Lantern book for it and file the owners manual away to collect dust.
Have fun with your new camera and nothing beats taking as many shots as you can to learn its settings under various conditions.

Griz

1 - 20 of 26 Posts