The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my bow due to some financial issues right now. I am going to replace it in the next few months, but I have been pondering getting a crossbow. But here are my questions. I can effectively take game out to 40 yards and beyond with my current bow in a good situation and with a lot of pre season practice. Last years buck was 39 yards. Will a crossbow reach out to 40 or 45 yards effectively?

Secondly, they seem very very bulky to me. Is this true? Especially in a stand?

I figure I would ask you guys since you switched from bow to crossbow if you are happy with the choice or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
I still shoot both my compound and crossbow. Advantages and disadvantages to both.

40-45 yards is within the reach of many crossbows. Speed is shedding fast though at that distance as drop becomes a bigger factor with the lighter arrow. Most crossbows are much louder too than compounds so noise must be considered when attempting shots that far. Hunting live animals I am much more comfortable with 30 yards.

Yes, they are a pain to carry at times and will limit your shooting angle in a tight treestand.

Much to consider. I enjoy all archery equipment. Only you can deterine the best fit for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DPMS, just that info alone may have made my decision for me. I would hate to limit myself anymore than I already am. Thanks again, my suspicions were correct it seems.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Just my thoughts.....
40 yards is within my reach with my Tornado. It is also small enough for a treestand. By no means is it as comfortable shooting, when compared to my compound, from that same treestand. I like to sit in large hemlocks and brush myself in a bit.
A crossbow arrow will shed speed much faster than a compound arrow, but there are a few ways to work around that. (heavy arrows and the like). Shoot a few crossbows and you will know if it's for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts