The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in 5c PA and I was thinking about getting into muzzle loading. I mostly bow hunt even during gun season. I was wondering during shotgun season can I use a muzzle loader or do I have to use a flintlock. I asked some one at the gun shop before and they said I can only hunt with a muzzle loader in a designated area? My question is can I use a primer muzzle loader during shotgun season or only a flintlock?

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Retired Rusty; not to pick a nit with your post but if by second season you are referring to deer hunting after Christmas then we are in the primitive phase and rifles are restricted to flintlocks only. No caplocks or inlines are permitted.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Hence the reason I said a flintlock could be used in rifle AND Second Season.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
410-er said:
See page #11 in your book.5C has extended flintlock season till Jan 24,buck or doe.
Yea I know but what about inline muzzleloader in sept or when ever it is for doe can you use a flintlock then also or only a inline? I want something that I can use to my advantage I guess I would say more versatile to the hunting seasons. Also can you get a scoped flintlock or are they only iron sights. Also what would be a good cheap flintlock to start out with I want something with a short barrel kind of like a Thompson center fire inline would have?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
A Flintlock is allowed during early muzzleloader, rifle, and second season.

During early muzzy and rifle seasons, optics are allowed. During flintlock season, no telescopic (magnified) sights allowed. Peeps are allowed.

For a short barrel "brush gun" size flintlock, I would recommend a Lyman Deerstalker (24") or T/C Renegade (26").

·
Administrator
39,021 Posts
Retired_Rusty said:

During early muzzy and rifle seasons, optics are allowed. During flintlock season, no telescopic (magnified) sights allowed. Peeps are allowed.

For a short barrel "brush gun" size flintlock, I would recommend a Lyman Deerstalker (24") or T/C Renegade (26").

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Retired_Rusty said:

OK so flintlock wins but my question is can you use a percussion muzzleloader or only flint.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Where (roughly) in 5C are you hunting? I ask this because if you are hunting in the SRA counties, there is (I think, check the book) still a late firearms season for antlerless deer, and overlaps the late flintlock season. They used to have this open for all of 5C, but closed it last year in non-SRA areas of 5C.

If, and only if, this late antlerless firearms season still exists, you could use a shotgun or inline muzzleloader for antlerless deer only. For antlered deer, you'd have to use a bow/crossbow or flintlock.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tdd said:
Where (roughly) in 5C are you hunting? I ask this because if you are hunting in the SRA counties, there is (I think, check the book) still a late firearms season for antlerless deer, and overlaps the late flintlock season. They used to have this open for all of 5C, but closed it last year in non-SRA areas of 5C.

If, and only if, this late antlerless firearms season still exists, you could use a shotgun or inline muzzleloader for antlerless deer only. For antlered deer, you'd have to use a bow/crossbow or flintlock.

Clear as mud?
Yea I live in that part of 5c but I want something for buck I only doe hunt once in awhile.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Then a flintlock or bow it is for you.

Good news is we have a fair bit of extra time to try and make something happen.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tdd said:
Then a flintlock or bow it is for you.

Good news is we have a fair bit of extra time to try and make something happen.
Well whats a cheap flintlock I can pick up me and my dad want to get them but we don't want to spend $400 plus a gun if were just going to get into it. I mean we have to many rifles and guns as it is they are overflowing out of my gun cabinet lol. I'm looking for a cheap flintlock I know I've seen them before at gunshops used for around $150.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Well, here's the thing with flintlocks....you are getting into something that is already full of potential to frustate the bejeebers out of you. If you get really low-end stuff, it'll only frustrate you more.

It's the wrong time of year to be getting one, too, as the deals will happen in late January when people decide they've had enough of the flintlock and sell their rifles off.

My suggestion? Take a ride up to Dixon's. Do it this weekend before it really gets slammed with guys prepping for the season. Talk to Chuck or Greg, and explain just what you've told us. They'll make good suggestions, and I would take them if I were in your shoes. And they won't try to over-sell you, but they will steer you in the proper direction.

I'd be pretty sketchy about a $150 flintlock, unless I knew EXACTLY what I was getting.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
tdd said:
I'd be pretty sketchy about a $150 flintlock, unless I knew EXACTLY what I was getting.
What He said!

And more than any other weapon in the stable, with a flintlock you normally will get what you paid for. There are great deals that flit by now and then, but most are what the $$ represent!

I wouldn't have to think about a $150.00 modern rifle, unless the seller just didn't know what he had when I saw it, or a Friend was hard pressed for cash.

I wouldn't with a flintlock either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts