The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just a few large heavy anchor patterns. i think these will help me stay deep. the bodies are wrapped with .2 lead wire and the thorax is double wrapped, and also there are dumbell eyes.. I just hope my 4 wt can get them out to where they need to be.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
if you need all that weight to get the flies down, why would you use a 4wt? the conditions would for usinging that rig dictates using atleast a 5wt even a 6wt. a higher weight rod would make it easier to cast that load and easier on the fish when trying to land them in the heavy current.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riz. I am using the 4 wt because i enjoy the sensitivity of the smaller rod. It is also a 10 foot rod. I have a 9' 5 weight already and wanted the longer lighter rod for czech nymphing.

Susquegander. I made this pattern up and do not have a name for it. If you would want a recipe, or tying instructions let me know. Youcan name it if you would like, for me. I will wait and see if it catches anything first.

A similar patter is the rubber leg stone fly. It is a lot less complicated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Backin up bowmike here... when your fishing heavy flies like that its usually using a euro or czech style rig with a longer rod in a smaller weight. I fish anchor flies on a two fly rig with an 11 foot 3 weight and dont have many problems. there isnt much casting involved.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, just short casts you want to basically disect the stream into 12" sections and drift them quickly, quick wrist flick then on the next lie 12" away from the next.

You are not making long casts in this set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.