The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I was able to get out on some very short outings. Saturday at 1:30 my wife says you want to go fishing while the kiddo is taking a nap. The answer was easy. I grabbed my stuff and went to the closest spring creek which is about 5 minutes from home. I went to a section I haven't explored before. The water was low clear and an unfortunate 68*. I spent the hour walking but did some casting with a white bead gold spinner. The section I was in has loaded with silt and had very little in the way if structure to hold fish. Since I haven't done much spin fishing recently my casting accuracy was atrocious for the first 30 minutes. I was able to bring 4 to hand in short order and had several other misses. I spent most of this outing wading through long stretches of 12" flat silt bottomed runs. I did manage to walk up on about 5 fish all grouped up in one long 15" run that I figured there wasnt any fish in. Lesson learned!

Picked this little guy up behind the only rock in a section of flat shallow water

Two browns came from the base of the log and bank

On Sunday morning I went to one of my favorite heavily pressured areas with the fly rod. Water temp was 61*. I started at 5:30 and the fishing was slow. The first hour yielded only one hookup and that fish was only on for a few seconds. At about 6:22 the action picked up and I landed 3 nice rainbows in the next half hour. All in all I brought 3 to hand and had 3 other hookups in 2 hours. That rate seems to be the norm for me in this small section. I wish I had more time to cover upstream of this area but with limited time I have been sticking to what I know and catching fish. Maybe next time I will hit my favorite two runs and move farther upstream were the fish maybe less pressured. Oddly enough it seems the that I dont start catching fish until around 6:15ish in this stream with my early starts.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first one was low and clear but the deeper pools were fishable and held fish. They were just a far apart. The 68* water temp means I will be leaving them alone for awhile.

The second stream is a limestoner and is low and murky but still in great shape and very fishable. The 61* water temp is nice as well. Access is limited and the majority of public access is C&R fly fishing only. Since it is cold and fishable, it gets a lot of attention. When I left there was another guy showing up to fish. I drove by the area at on in the afternoon and there were 3 other guys fishing the same stretch. So the area was worked over by at least 5 different fishermen by 1pm that day.

I am going to try to get to another local stream I haven't fished yet to take a water temp and hopefully run a spinner through a few spots one evening this week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts