The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've never posted on this forum but check in once in a while. I had to send my v3i in for repairs but cant wait till it comes back and the ground thaws out! Hope this gets everyone fired up for spring!

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
glock3540 said:
How did you clean up those indian heads? I have a few that need cleaned up but I'm afraid of ruining them.
I'm curious of the answer, but am going to guess boiling peroxide due to the odd lack of patina that comes from being in the ground.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Im not sure how bad the ground is froze here but i have to wait for my detector to come back anyways. Its a good time to secure some permission tho. We got permission to hunt and old church yard last year and found where they had all their picnics. We ended up with about 2 dozen indian heads 20 silver and over 100 wheaties. Its not often you find a place like that but when you do youll never forget it. The deepest coin we dug in that yard was probably 4". Yep, 4c is right I boiled them in peroxide and wiped them off with a soft rag.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just buried my dog on the 17th and there were 3+ inches of frost under the 2 inches of mud. The snow cover kept the frost from going really deep here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my detector back over the weekend so I took it to a friends house and hunted around a bit. Found some clad but nothing special. I dug a couple deeper plugs and went around 10" without hitting anything frozen. Weather looks promising for the weekend but it'll be awful muddy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Those are awesome finds! How excited were you when that Morgan popped out of the hole. I'm pretty sure I would have fell over and needed help getting up. Just out of curiosity was there a mint mark on the 1908 Indian head?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts