1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEMORANDUM
Posted: December 14, 2012 03:37 PM
To: All House members
Subject: Amending Title 42, re: Firearms Offenses Sentences (HB 401 of 2011)
I will be re-introducing legislation (HB401 of 2011) regarding sentencing for offenses committed with firearms. It has come to my attention that due to District Attorney Plea bargaining practices, in many cases, the intent of Title 42 with respect to mandatory five year sentencing upon conviction of a violent crime with a firearm is being disregarded.

My legislation, will add the requirement that the mandatory sentence imposed under Section 9712 of Title 42 shall be imposed consecutively to any other sentence imposed by the court; and prohibits concurrent sentences for such violent offenses.

It is important to take crime by the use of firearms seriously. By allowing these sentences to be run concurrently with other sentences, we are devaluing this sentence for a very dangerous, and life-threatening crime. This sentence should be meted out, and served, on its’ own and no longer should we simply look the other way by allowing this sentence to, in a sense, not really be served, when it is served at the same time as another sentence.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MEMORANDUM
Posted: December 17, 2012 03:45 PM

Subject: Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases
In the near future I will be introducing legislation to require the Pennsylvania State Police to send all existing mental health data within 90 days to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) which is utilized to check the background of individuals attempting to acquire a firearm nationwide. The bill will additionally require ongoing submissions to the national database within 48 hours of the State Police receiving mental health data.

Following the shooting at Virginia Tech the federal government enacted incentives for states to submit their mental health records to the national database which resulted in a dramatic increase in the number of records available. According to a July 2012 U.S. Government Accountability Office Report, in 2004, 200,000 mental health records were available in the national database vs. 1.2 million in 2011. Not surprisingly, the number of people denied a request to purchase a firearm based upon a mental health prohibition increased almost 600% from 365 to 2,124 during that period according to the same report. For more information visit: http://www.gao.gov/assets/600/592452.pdf

Those who have been committed to a mental institution are prohibited from possessing firearms but unless we include our mental health data in the nationwide database these individuals may fall through the cracks and improperly be permitted to purchase firearms despite mental health issues.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MEMORANDUM
Posted: December 17, 2012 02:22 PM

Subject: Gun Violence – Mandatory Sentences for Felons Possessing Firearms
In the near future I will be re-introducing HB 2331 to combat gun violence and straw-purchasers in our Commonwealth. This bill passed the House 190-7 last session. If we want to get serious about getting illegal guns off our streets we must get serious with the penalties we impose for those violating our laws. Tougher penalties will deter felons from illegally possessing firearms as well as provide our prosecutors with tools to combat the straw purchasers who illegally provide these firearms.

Currently we have no mandatory minimum sentence for felons who illegally possess firearms - my bill would impose a 5 year mandatory minimum sentence. My legislation would also designate the crime of a felon illegally possessing a gun as a "crime of violence" triggering our second strike (10 year mandatory) and third strike (twenty-five year mandatory) provisions.

By enacting these tough penalties for those who illegally possess firearms we will deter violent criminals but will also create incentives for those being prosecuted to cooperate with law enforcement. Through greater cooperation law enforcers will be able to more effectively investigate and prosecute straw-purchasers.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MEMORANDUM
Posted: December 17, 2012 10:27 AM

Subject: Assault Weapons Ban
In the near future, I plan to re-introduce House Bill 2592 of the 2011-2012 Legislative session, which will ban the possession, use, control, sale, transfer, or manufacture of an assault weapon within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Since the federal law prohibiting assault weapons lapsed in 2004, many states have considered legislation to ban assault weapons. According to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, seven states have enacted laws banning assault weapons to varying degrees, including California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. In addition, other states have implemented partial bans or restrictions through law or regulation.

Currently, Pennsylvania does not prohibit the sale or transfer of assault weapons. Once a Pennsylvania resident is deemed eligible to purchase a firearm, that individual is permitted to obtain any weapon of their choice, including highly powerful and dangerous assault weapons. My legislation would amend Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes by creating a new section, §6121.1 (Certain Assault Weapons Prohibited), to prohibit the possession, use, control, sale, transfer, or manufacture of an assault weapon in the Commonwealth. However, this legislation includes exemptions for members of the United States Armed Forces, Reserve components, the National Guard and law enforcement officers who are performing official duties or traveling to or from an authorized place of duty.

Sadly, gun violence continues to permeate cities and towns across America. The time to act is now. Please join me in sponsoring this crucial legislation.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Others out there - but this is start on the list.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Bluetick said:
MEMORANDUM

In the near future, I plan to re-introduce House Bill 2592 of the 2011-2012 Legislative session, which will ban the possession, use, control, sale, transfer, or manufacture of an assault weapon within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Since the federal law prohibiting assault weapons lapsed in 2004, many states have considered legislation to ban assault weapons. According to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, seven states have enacted laws banning assault weapons to varying degrees, including California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. In addition, other states have implemented partial bans or restrictions through law or regulation.

Currently, Pennsylvania does not prohibit the sale or transfer of assault weapons. Once a Pennsylvania resident is deemed eligible to purchase a firearm, that individual is permitted to obtain any weapon of their choice, including highly powerful and dangerous assault weapons. My legislation would amend Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes by creating a new section, §6121.1 (Certain Assault Weapons Prohibited), to prohibit the possession, use, control, sale, transfer, or manufacture of an assault weapon in the Commonwealth. However, this legislation includes exemptions for members of the United States Armed Forces, Reserve components, the National Guard and law enforcement officers who are performing official duties or traveling to or from an authorized place of duty.

Sadly, gun violence continues to permeate cities and towns across America. The time to act is now. Please join me in sponsoring this crucial legislation.
I wish some one would PLEASE tell me what an "Assult weopon" is!! This bill is ludacris with out a definition of "assult weopon".

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bluetick said:
MEMORANDUM

He's from Philly.
I really wish we could just give Philly to NJ, they could give Northwestern NJ to us.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Yes the violence is that scum hole of Philly is just like the violence in the rest of the state. Maybe he needs to travel outside that shooting gallery once in awhile. What are his proposals for confiscating guns from the criminals? Or does this liberal just want to disarm law abiding citizens?

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
Every January there are new "gun control" bills introduced for the new session. Nothing much new there, it's been happening for years.

The other thing that also isn't new, is that most of these firearms bills emanate from the Philly Dems.

As for definitions: There is a widely-accepted definition for the term "assault rifle" and it has been around for a very long time. It applies to any rifle capable of select fire (semi, full or burst), which fires what is generally termed to be an "intermediate or rifle cartridge", not a pistol cartridge.

There is no established definition for the term "assault weapon", because no such animal exists beyond the imaginations of those who wish to ban something they neither like nor understand.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
If they keep repeating a lie often enough, the masses will accept it as truth. Contact your elected officials and tell them NO GUN OR MAGAZINE BANS!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts