The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Old Boy wanted to visit the Show vicariously, so here Ya go! I took a bnch of pics today while walking through, but some of them had people's heads photobombing while stepping in front of me, or were too close, and meesed up the focus. I even had one of Allen Martin when the crowd wasn't around his table!

If I had unlimited financial resources, I would have left with 5-6 rifles, and a few pistols!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Thanks for sharing your photos. I'm sure heads and bodies were photo stoppers at times because it was a tad crowded, to say the least. The restaurant area would serve as a great venue for vendors, but then I couldn't enjoy my creamed chipped beef on toast and potatoes!

It was my first ever visit, and I was definitely impressed. It was a pleasure to meet Allen Martin, and to examine his incredible workmanship on flintlock long guns. I would truly be thrilled to place an order, but pushing 76 probably is the time to be adding another custom gun. If I can finish my jaeger project, I'll consider my collection complete.

I don't know if it was just me, but the crowd composition struck me as getting a bit long in the tooth, and that is disappointing. I would have been thrilled to see more "young" folks in attendance. Maybe today being a work day had an impact. Perhaps tomorrow will bring more of a younger crowd with deeper pockets.

All in all, it was a day very well spent!

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Do I count as “young” at 43? ;)

My kids think I dodged dinosaurs on my way to school as a kid.... but what do they know? Brats. Lol

Berks... we should shoot sometime. I got a couple of rifles made by Allen. You’re welcome to shoot them if ya like.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
43!!! I have hunting coats older than you! Thanks for the offer to shoot together. I would enjoy that come spring, and as to shooting a Martin rifle, I shoot from the southpaw side. I did mention to Allen that his displayed long guns were all rightys. He stated immediately that he does build leftys as well.

Sorry I missed bumping into you today. I realized quickly that a serious number of show patrons and myself looked pretty much alike, white beards and all!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Berksy I have a lefty martin you can try out! Only live once, might as well have a great guy some of the $$ instead of the government!

Reactions: tdd

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Berksy,

I think I passed You coming off the porch at the entrance, but for the life of me couldn't remember the color You said Your hat was. So I didn't chance it, and end up looking like a dumba$$ to someone else!

It was definitely a crowded one today, especially when I got there at 10:00. Never saw it that busy that early before!

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was leaving, I went out the front of the Hotel. There was a charter bus loading up at the front door. Might have been the extra crowd, don't know for sure though.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
I don't know. I know I went and ribbed Allen about his comment about things thinning out at 11. By 1 or so, it was pretty thinned out and you could almost walk a straight line down most of the aisles.

I wound up going back and getting a 40gr powder measure and a pan brush. Bought a t-shirt, too....but I do that every year (get a t-shirt...they usually have pretty cool designs and it supports the show).

Went back and put a little more "aging" on Allen's rifles and then headed out.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
43!!! I have hunting coats older than you! Thanks for the offer to shoot together. I would enjoy that come spring, and as to shooting a Martin rifle, I shoot from the southpaw side. I did mention to Allen that his displayed long guns were all rightys. He stated immediately that he does build leftys as well.

Sorry I missed bumping into you today. I realized quickly that a serious number of show patrons and myself looked pretty much alike, white beards and all!
Berksy I have a lefty martin you can try out! Only live once, might as well have a great guy some of the $$ instead of the government!

Seems like an HPA flintlock shoot is in the making here....

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
I was gonna say we need a range to shoot at, but.....

Through April, we could just meet at the Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers Woods Walks on a given Sunday morning and shoot the course there. A little bit of a drive for Berks and I, but I've done it before and don't mind giving Berks a ride, either, if he'd like.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Thanks for the photos Rusty! I didn't get to make it down cause of the weather.

I would come down for an HPA shoot. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Once again, an excellent show. Picked up a few items for future small projects and another belt bag from The Leatherman. Talked to Knob Mtn Muzzleloading about ordering a stock in July at Dixon's Gunmakers Fair in July.

Reactions: tdd

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks to all the brave folks who made it out the our show .. it was fun ...

My son Ted is sorta the unofficial show shutterbug and has a great eye for capturing detail through his lens .
You may click on the Contemporary Makers Blog for more shots of the show .... with more to come I presume .

Contemporary Makers

Sincerely ... Al Martin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts