The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10-20-2012 will go down as one of if not the best day i have spent in the woods to date. the morning started out with rain and wind and a very excited and nervous 9 year old after seeing several deer and with bucks being the only ones presenting a shot we broke for lunch. Coltin had a bowling party to go to with a friend he hasnt seen in several months and i let it up to him if he wanted to hunt the evening. he decided to hunt and we headed out around 4:30 we had a doe at the stand when we got there but it was on the horizon and i instructed him that that wasnt a shot a hunter should take because of the travel path of the bullet and he understood. then just as we talked about that we had a doe out front in the golden rod he wasnt able to get the cross hairs on her shoulder because of the hieght of the weeds and he was pretty upset. i told him that if he wasnt sure of the shot he shouldnt shoot. i also told him that that wouldnt be the last one we would see. a few minutes later we look out into the bean field and there she stood the one he was waiting for. he took a rest and she turned he said dad if i shoot now ill hit her in the butt i told heim to wait for her to turn he did and said dad im on her(all the while breathing hard and shaking a little) i said if your on her shoot....he let out a deep breathe and bang he yelled i hit her i hit her i said i think so she spun around headed straight for us and we could see the blood puring out of her shoulder i said she wont go far and she ran to within about 15 yards of us and killed over we high fived and he almost fell over from the excitment......what a memory for me here she is
oh by the way he was shooting a rem model 7600 in 243 that i bought and put a youth stock on.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
FANATSTIC!!!! Happy for you guys, I truly Am !!! May you have many many years of moments!

That is a NICE doe!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Congrats Coltin. Way to startoff your hunting career buddy. Good Job with the lessons of safe hunting and shooting practices dad. I think you will have a hunting buddy and many many memories ahead for both of you to share.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Congratulation Coltin that's a nice looking doe and Congrats to Dad for the coaching on proper shots to take and for recording the memorable day with a great pic.
For Coltin
and Dad

1 - 16 of 16 Posts