The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
20,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Dog-Day Oasis
Despite a continued lack of rain fall this season I was again able to get myself into some strong flowing trout habitat over this weekend. It was crazy hot and as I closed my truck door a ‘Dog Day’ cicada greeted me in the distance. It’s not normal to hear them chiming off at 6am but I guess the air temp was high enough already for one to be feeling a little frisky early on.
I grabbed my bug spray, knowing the nats would want to have another pow-wow around my head today, and off I went. The stream registered a comfy 61 degree before I made my first cast and I was more than pleased with the water level.

A few casts and I was into my first wild brown of the day.

And a few casts later found a nice Brookie in tow!

Even though I was wet wading I was still cracking a little bit of a sweat from the extreme high early temps. I did my best to stay above my knees a lot rather than walking the edge like I normally do. This probably cost me a few fish but for the sake of staying cool I didn’t much care.

As I plodded on a continued to catch browns and brooks at normal for this time of year clip. Nothing mind blowing but good enough.

From some of the better spot unusually large brookies might appear.

Heck, I even managed to find this $8 Yo-Zuri hanging from a tree…..the day was really looking up! Haha.

As the stream changed from open forest

To deeply shaded areas

I continued to catch trout . I came to a deep pool far from the parking spot and gave it a shot. Like most big trout the fish absolutely hammered my spinner immediately after I started the retrieve. The fish was strong but not strong enough and it wasn’t long before I coaxed it to the surface for a good look.

And eventually scooped it up for a quick pic.

I didn’t like the fishes activity level so I released the 19.5” wild brown without the normal pic holding him. I’ve got enough of those this summer to not risk the trouts health over it. If I catch it again someday over 20” it’s getting the pic though!!
I fished for another hour or so and finished the day when I spied the line of a fly fisher out in front of me slinging back and forth. The hike back was long and hot without the benefit of my bike but as always, worth if for another day in Penns Woods.

·
20,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I caught just north of 70 in 5 hours on the water. Modest action. I was planning to just keep rolling until I bumped into the fly fisherman. With miles of water ahead I just figured I'd save the rest just in case meager times continue. No sense in burning up valuable realestate so late in the morning when I can hit it fresh in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Nice fish. They sure are coming harder these days. I fly fished 4 hours on Friday with 62* wt but didn't take many pictures because the first 15" stocked rainbow I took a picture of needed more time after the fight to recoup than I thought he should. He swam away and parked himself on the bottom of a little eddy. I kept an eye on him for some time just to make sure he wasn't going to go belly up. I had the place mostly to myself. I caught 8, 3 of which were 15" rainbows. All stocked but a good time. I caught 12 bass in an hour that same day in a different body of water. With the low flows and warm water I may stick to bass fishing until things cool down and we get some rain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think there is more water in that stream than all the water in some counties combined! I have that exact Yo-Zuri, but since I've only fished it once, trying to entice a strike from a big brown, and I know it was in the box, in my pack last Wednesday, I'm pretty sure it isn't mine. In the deeply shaded areas shot, any idea what industry or remnant of history that stone wall is from?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Is that stream fed by water from deep mines? Sure is unusual to find a frestoner flowing that much during drought.

I think fishing in low water like I've been doing makes one appreciate the higher flows of earlier in the year. I've got some limestoners around my area but they draw in fly anglers like gnats and have been pounded with spinners.

Great outing, particularly considering the conditions.

·
20,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It could be Frank but I've never seen any mine discharges on the stream and it certainly doesn't have a 'mine flow' look to it. I've often wondered the source of all the water but just haven't stumbled upon it over the past 2 years fishing there. I have a bunch of mine dishcarge stream in my area, many of which have no fish, and most of them are very low right now just like everywhere else. Some as low as I've ever really seen and dropping daily. This stream just does better than most and has benifited from what little rain we've gotten in the area this summer. It's really just all the information I track with each weather event and each trip. I probably invest 2-3 hours a week tracking data away from the stream of all types. It's become a true system to reliably find water if there is water to be found. It can routinely take me upwards of an hour to make a stream selection for the next day. I have a spreadsheet a mile long that once I match up a bunch of different peices of info I will be on whichever stream is best within striking distance for the day. My wife thinks i'm nuts....she may be right haha.

Also, we've certainly done far far far better with rain than the rest of the state the past 6 weeks. I just got 2" at my house on Friday evening...although it did little for stream level 3 days later where I live. Places like SWPA and NCPA are a total wasteland right now for rain when just 6 weeks ago it was the opposite. If our rainfall was like theirs, I'd have no place to go at all. It's actually been a very similar weather pattern to last year except with about 3-4" less rain for everyone. Lots of rain early in the season West and more rain later in the season East. The same weather pattern has held true and the temps have been very much the same as last summer. We just all had 3-4" more rain by now and that made a huge difference. Pennsylvania's one crazy state when it comes to weather differences that's for sure. As a whole I would say that we have very few streams out this way that are fishable but also very few stream out this way that are in great peril right now. For the most part everything is normal low for this time of year as seen by all the greens on the USGS map in the east.

I'm very lucky to have such a variety of stream types on this side of the state and moresoe lucky to have stumbled on a few places that rarely get low and very few other people know about. Expect in the most rare of drought situation I can almost always find a place to go. I have plenty of excellent limestones within 15-20 minutes of my house, several quarry/mine influenced streams in all directions that may as well be limestoners, and more freestoners then I can shake a stick at. It's not rustic like NCPA but I can stay knee deep better than anywhere else here in dry times. I guess every area has its tradeoff at the end of the day. All things considered, if conditions are perfect, I'm taking NCPA for obvious reasons but for times like these I've very very lucky to live where I do with years of experience on area streams. All the info I've collected over the years has paid off many times over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.