The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Ha Ha...Flint...No such thing..All materials used in making tools have proper names...The top point is Black Chert and the bottom point looks like Siltstone or Ryolite.....Black Chert is the most durable of the three mentioned..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Big Ken, don't be so hard on Jimsdad. LOL. We all can't be lithic experts. I myself even have to confer with a geologist now and again. A cross section analysis is sometimes needed to confirm chert type. There are a lot of different "black" cherts across the country and they too have specific names. Two that I can think of in the southwest PA. region would be coshockton and upper mercer neither of which matches the black point pictured. As far as durability I have never read any archaeological report that said that one chert type was more or less durable than another. Material choice was based on knapping predictability (concoidal fracture) and the ability of the native to secure the material. As far as the archaic (brewerton) point picture #2, you may be correct on the rhyolite if what I see in the photo is inclusions of feldspar. The patina on the point is hiding it. I would need to put it under a glass. Flint in America? Yes, when brought over as colonial ship ballast. Most used in gun flints. Remember to record and protect archaeological sites...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts