The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i have a huge imagination and i love horror movies. Which might not be the best thing for a hunter who goes strolling around the woods in the darkness. But this happened to me this past Saturday so i thought i could share it with you guys plus add some touches of what goes through my mind at times. It seems the woods can be a bit eerie at times..........

“Whoa, what was that?” I say to myself as I am easing into position at the base of my tree. The moon is high and the clouds are thick, swiftly blowing across the sky in the pre-dawn darkness. I hear the crunch of a four-legged animal off in the distance. Or is it a hairy cross between man and mythical beast? A scene from The Howling enters my mind. In the distance I hear a train screeching, rumbling making such noises that I have never heard. Dogs have taken to the end of their chains, neck hairs on full alert only to run back into the safety of their lairs cowering from sense and smell. I slowly climb into my climber, taking one last look around the moonlit darkness. Shapes and figures appear to me as alien invaders as scary as the coat rack in my bedroom when I was boy. But of course they are just trees…….right?

I quickly ascend the tree knowing full well that Pumpkinhead is lurking just out of sight and waiting to attack at just the right moment. The blood begins to flow and adrenaline pumps as I am exposing my back to the world of the unknown, just waiting for the darkness to grab me. I finally reach the pinnacle of my ascent. I shine my head lamp down to the base of the tree fully expecting to see some ghoulish creature climbing up my rope. I yank on the rope to pull up my bow and bag and it does not budge. “What the world?” I say to myself. As I shine down I see a boney, crinkled old hand holding onto my bag. It won’t let go!! But alas, after a few yanks the old rotten branch gives way. Or did the creature just let go?

I sit in the dark listening for the sounds of other worlds that we all know lurk in the darkness. I remember my dad telling me as a boy, “There isn’t anything in the woods in the dark that isn’t there during the day.” But who is he to tell me what is real and unreal? So I sit and wait and wait for the horrible misshapen creatures to attack. I am ever ready, just waiting and waiting.

I hear the rustling in my bag. I think to myself what is that? Is it a leaf in the tree? No. It must be a vine or something swaying in the breeze. I listen harder and harder. It is coming from my backpack! No way can this be happening. Slowly I bring my pack around and place it in my lap. I see a shape moving under the material of the front pocket. Breathing heavily I slowly unzip the pocket. Of course it is going to be some sort of horrible evil that I unleash out of my bag. I take a deep breath and look inside for this fiendish creature to be unleashed into my world. The attack is inevitable. I am waiting for………for…….for…………

For the evil field mouse that was munching on and old granola bar from Spring Turkey! Lord only knows how he got in there but he was there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Even though i do have this huge imagination i would not trade the world for sitting in the woods in the dark and watching it all come to life. Every one should be able to partake in this moment. And for those that can't, aren't able to, or won't, i feel they are missing something in their lives

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
LOL...Bryd, i think every hunter had that early morning walk in that just had you jumpy and gittery and felt like you were being watched or followed...very nice story, don't take this wrong but I will try not to think of it Staurday morning.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RB, i wouldn't blame you if you didn't think about it. Heck i wouldn't blame you if you deleted this one!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
great story Byrd! man when i was 12 i was scared to death by a screech owl in the dark. Dad was on the other side of the tree laughing to himself. every thought in the world ran through my mind. back then before daylight, every crunch of the leaves sent shivers down my spine! now i can't wait to hear that crunching! good luck this year!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thats a great story Byrd.It made me laugh.I wonder how long that mouse was in your pack,and what he thought about the "elevator" ride up to your stand.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Very interesting. I think we all have those times in the woods... especially when hunting alone on a mountain or in a valley, when you wonder about a bear or a pack of yotes... or in your case, other things. The woods, for me, turns from the darkness and unknown to the beautiful and magical in minutes.

And in those minutes, I wouldn't trade or miss anything in the world to not partake in those magical moments. And those who do not hunt will never know the feeling or that magic I speak of and all of us hear know about. Things like this are the great part that keep me going back over and over again to my favorite spots.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Byrd, that was great. And frankly, I myself feel the same horror when I go in the woods at dark. There is definitley something out there, waiting for the right moment to pounce. I guess its the sense of being vulnerable, since darkness is not one of our elements. Knowing me, I probably woulda crapped my pants knowing something was lurking inside that bag that I couldnt see.

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
Great story Byrd, one that I think we all can relate to.

Over here hunting at night, usually close to a full moon, with ground fog rolling in and out, and alone, kicks my imagination into overdrive. Images of the old, black and white, Dracula type movies would creep into my head.
But then I would notice that slight change in the eastern sky, and know that a new day was beginning and those vampires would be replaced by the critters that roam the forests.

A couple weeks ago I came home about an hour after sunrise and tried to explain to my wife about that feeling we all know as the day arrives in the forest. She just didn't understand.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clay, those screech owls do make some strange noises. I have had run-ins with them as well. Last year at the same stand two were fighting on the ground about 20 yards from me. I am not sure what is going on with that area. The one thing though the really sends me through the roof is bobcats(not at this stand) when they get to screamin' and hollerin'. That is the definition of eerie.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is why taking some spare drawers is always a must! lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mechanic, the only thing i can think of is i had my pack sitting in some old hay that we had in our goat pen to try and absorb some of the smell before putting on earth scent. I guess he needed a nice place to go. Also i lowerd him back down and he was not there when i climbed down. Hopefully he waited till he hit bottom before jumping out!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bcoz,I was telling my wife the same thing. I have been trying to get her to atleast take up Archery with me. I told her she would love being out in the woods at that time of the morning. She at least told me she would come out and bring the camera along. So hopefully soon i will have pulled another one into our ranks. I finally got my step-son hooked and i need to work on my step-daughter as well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Glad to hear i'm not the only one who thinks that way sometimes, the only thing that helps settle is i have a weapon. My question is have many have thought what if it is a buck that you spook and decides to run to you or into you and impales you on the way?

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
One very dark night last winter I was walking to my stand and paused before walking into the edge of the field. What I heard when I stopped walking wasn't my imagination. I had walked into the middle of a large group of feeding wild pigs

Thankfully the ladder was only about 50 feet away!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bearbuster, i can honestly say i don't think i have ever thought about that one. lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bcoz, i am sure that was interesting to say the least. That would have thrown me off for sure. I probably would have gold medal speed getting to that ladder!

On a side note, any one ever heard a noise that sounds something like when you take a long piece of plastic or thin metal like a saw and shake it back and forth and it makes that warble warble warble noise? I heard that twice now once in Potter and once at our place in WV. Only two things i can think of, possibly a bear or maybe a raven. of course maybe some type of owl also.

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
I probably would have gold medal speed getting to that ladder!
I did!! And that included a gold in the hurdles, because I cleared a LOT of brush to get to that ladder

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hey byrd074 that was some good writing my kids would love to here that story since halloween is so close good story

1 - 20 of 29 Posts