The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother became very ill a couple of weeks ago and I’d only been able to get in the woods a couple of times. She took a turn for the worse last week and passed away early Sunday morning. By yesterday afternoon we had pretty much wrapped up arrangements so I took the opportunity to slip up to the woods.

The Last few times that I had been out I was fooling around playing musical trees with a nice 7 point; after our last encounter I’d figured I knew the “perfect” tree to kill him from. I was in that tree last evening when at 4:45pm here comes a buck walking straight to me on a skid trail that passes by my tree. He came on until he reached an intersecting trail 20 yards in front of me. It would have been best if he’d made a right turn to take the trail west, but he hung a left and I only had a small window through which to shoot as he walked through. The window was too small to take a chance on stopping him so I took the walking shot.

I immediately had the impression the hit was a little far back. The buck ran about 30 yards then stopped and stood there twitching its tail, so I knew I had a hit but feared a gut shot. He walked another 15 yards till he almost disappeared over the lip of the bench; all I could see at that point was his tail twitching and then nothing. I waited 20 minutes and got down to look.

I had good blood where he was at the shot and a good blood trail leading away. I looked for the bolt for a few minutes but never found it in the logging tops covered with Mile-A-Minute weed, so I took the trail. There was a good blood trail to where he first stopped but then nothing. I walked to the edge of the bench and over a little a bunch of times looking for more blood but never found any. I decided to carefully pick out his most likely path from the last blood and found him right where I had last seen him. Don’t know how I walked right passed him so many times.

When I took the shot I thought it was the 7 point, but turned out it was a pretty nice 8 with a 14” inside spread and a big body. Turned out I had hit the back of one lung then through the liver and nicked the paunch.

This one’s for you Mom.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Thanks for posting your story. That buck will be one of those special ones that we hold so dear. So sorry to hear of your loss. Sometimes the woods are the best place to be in these times.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
loridr, congrats on the fine deer and so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope the coming year treats you better than this year has.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Congrats of a great buck and sorry for your loss! GOD bless your family during this difficult time! I lost my dad in 2004 and know he is with me everytime I step in the woods!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts