The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to reach out to the ladies on here to ask for some help. My wife has expressed a desire to begin archery shooting/hunting with me. I couldn't be happier but I dont have any idea what type of bow to get her. All the stores are run by men who have no idea how to fit a lady. If anyone shoots/hunts with a bow can you tell me what brands / models work best for you ? I'm not looking for the latest/greatest models but I want her to have something that is enjoyable to shoot and will last a few years. I am hoping to keep the bow under $500.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
My wife shoots a Bowtech Carbon Rose. It’s a light weight, well balanced bow, made specifically for lady bow hunters. They’ve been out for a few years so there should be some out there in your price range.
https://bowtecharchery.com/bows/carbon-rose/

·
Registered
717 Posts
My girlfriend has been shooting a diamond infinite edge pulling 52 pounds at 25”. This past season was her third year archery hunting and she has killed a deer with it each year. The draw weight and draw length are both super adjustable. When she first started practicing we had it set at 38lbs and she worked her way up to 52 in 4 months. Having said that, I’m in the market for a “higher end” bow for her now.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My girlfriend has been shooting a diamond infinite edge pulling 52 pounds at 25”. This past season was her third year archery hunting and she has killed a deer with it each year. The draw weight and draw length are both super adjustable. When she first started practicing we had it set at 38lbs and she worked her way up to 52 in 4 months. Having said that, I’m in the market for a “higher end” bow for her now.
I will second the Diamond. I have an Edge SB-1. Diamond has a number of bows that have a wide range of adjustment for both draw weight and length.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mathews Passion

There has been an ad on and off for a Mathews Passion (fully rigged) for a very reasonable price on Craig's List. I believe that it must be a shop ad because they advertise other rigs from time to time. I believe it is in the Brownsville area. Check the sporting category for details..

·
Registered
260 Posts
X3 Diamond Infinity Edge. Great adjustability, and doesn't break the bank. If she gets into it then upgrade, once she knows what to look for with the draw, valley, anchor, etc.

Best of luck, and enjoy it.

My wife shoots 3D's with me but only wants to hunt rifle.
I'm okay with that!:jestera:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would like to reach out to the ladies on here to ask for some help. My wife has expressed a desire to begin archery shooting/hunting with me. I couldn't be happier but I dont have any idea what type of bow to get her. All the stores are run by men who have no idea how to fit a lady. If anyone shoots/hunts with a bow can you tell me what brands / models work best for you ? I'm not looking for the latest/greatest models but I want her to have something that is enjoyable to shoot and will last a few years. I am hoping to keep the bow under $500.

Any advice is appreciated.
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/spo/d/irwin-samick-journey-64-30lb-recurve-bow/7086340317.html

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am new to archery myself. been at it since January. I am not what one would call an expert or an average woman in that I am 5'10 so I can shoot pretty much any bow length wise. I didn't jump right into high end bows as I was not sure if I would like it. Bear archery seems to be a good brand. I got a Bear Marshal on ebay for $180ish The draw length fits me well.... I have had to work up to the weight though as the lowest it can technically be set is 60 the guy that I took it to to tune it got it down to 50 pounds. Over all it seems like a good bow I am really new to archery but I shoot 20 to 30 arrows a day now. So far I have gotten pretty good with it. The pictures I am attaching were taken at 30 yards about 3 months into my shooting practice.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks! you can probably tell which side of the bag was the side that saw most of my practice, lol. I was hoping to be ready in time to try and bow hunt turkey this year but since I can't seem to even get them with in shot gun range I think I will hold off until I got a little more experience at it...Deer season though I am hoping to bow hunt my first deer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts