The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this debate time and time again on various forums. Let's keep this one clean but what do ya'll think? What do you all carry?

Me personally, I've shot all three calibers but have only ever owned and really practiced with the 9mm. So, there ya have it thats my carry caliber.

So what say you? Anyone do any ballistics test on their own? Any real world stats?

·
Registered
351 Posts
i personally believe with the right ammo any of the choices are an effective carry cartridge. I chose the 40s&w becasue of the ballistics and energy, but recoil is still tollerable. I would have chosen the .45 but the recoil factor limits the speed of accurate follow up shots. the 9mm is a great round because of cheap target ammo, (when able to be found) and good defense ammo.

Choose what you like but I will keep my Glock 23 in 40 s&w

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have added my carry is a Glock 19 in 9mm - and I plan on adding a Glock 26 as well.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I've seen people shot with just about everything. If they are hit in the right place, just about anything seems to prevent us from saving them.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I carry a springfield armory XDM40 and love it... my duty gun s a Glock model 31 357sig... also have a glock in the 40... just my preference but i dont want HIT with any of them!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I wouldn't want to look down the barrel of any of them. With that said, what I chose would really depend on what I wanted to do with it.

Open carry - give me the full size 45

conceled - I'll take the 9. Only because it comes in smaller guns.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have been on many ammo test's with all three of them. Personally I will carry the 40 S&W any day with 180gr Corbon ammo. From 7 yards it was the ONLY round that was able to put two rounds through a car door and still penetrate a standard weight kevlar vest. The 45 was barely making it through the door with most rounds and the 9 was blowing through but was so fraged out that it lost all of it's energy once it made it past the steel. The 40 gives the best of both worlds, you get range, power, mag capacity and not bad recoil.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I carry a Glock 19 9mm. I've had 40s and 45s but never got comfortable with them so I sold them and bought another 9mm and a 22 revolver for squirrels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really think it depends on what your use is. Are you gonna conceal carry? If so, then size, weight and model is a consideration. Do you shoot a lot? Are you looking for something economical to reload? If you don't reload and like to shoot, then presently ammo availability can be a factor. Personally, I have a lot of fun with the 9mm developing loads for the different models I own. I'm fortunate to own a CZ75 thats more accurate than I'll ever be, it's a soft shooter and I can shoot all day rather inexpensively.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
TEE - we think the same way. I love the 10mm and if it wouldn't be such a beast then it would be in service still with the FBI today. .41 magnum performance in an autoloader is just awesome!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
My duty weapon is a s&w m.p .45. We had the glock 23 in .40. But tests show that if you shoot through a back window of a vehicle, or front. there is realy no change in force. so i guess they decided for more knock down power and stuff to go with the .45. but like all guns, you can have the biggest gun, but if you cant shoot it well, its worthless. so always get out and shoot, it realy doesnt matter what cal. you have.

·
Registered
378 Posts
but like all guns, you can have the biggest gun, but if you cant shoot it well, its worthless. so always get out and shoot, it realy doesnt matter what cal. you have.
So true.

The .40 S&W is a great round, but a sawed-off downsized 10MM, where it started its life. The 10MM was a handful for many people. I think the .40S&W with the heavy 180 gr. was developed to duplicate what's already had in a +P .45ACP firing a 185 gr. bullet in a pistol frame that accomodated the maligned 9mm. I believe the energies and velocities are similar with the 185 gr. round, yet I'd opt for the wider bore. If you want to gauge ammo by penetration capabilities then pick a good .357 Magnum load. Some factory loads are somewhat wimpy these days but handloads make this an awesome round. Unfortunately, wheelguns and their calibers aren't in this mix or this discussion.

Bullet construction has a handle in penetration capabilities, not so much the cartridge firing it. I've seen demonstrations of +P+ 9MM's that were pretty amazing from a penetration perspective for such a little round but it was the bullet construction and narrow diameter that helped too.

I never bought into the "in-between" caliber (.40S&W). I like the 9mm for what it is and don't expect earth shattering results from it, yet I love the .45ACP.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts