The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 12ga Mossberg 935 turkey gun. It has a X-full choke tube in it now (.710 dia.) Now everything I've read about the 835/935 says they have a barrel the same diameter as a 10 ga. Why is it a Mossberg X-full choke is the same ID as a 10ga modified choke? Shouldn't they be the same?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Because a 3 1/2 inch shell carries a 10 ga load and you get a better pattern when you are not trying to stuff that load through 12 ga. diameter opening. Stuffing too many pellets through a to tight opening blows the pattern.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
John S is right. I will tell ya that those barrels pattern real nice with the factory chokes and Carlsons.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
One of the best patterning guns I have seen was a 10 bore double sxs that was rechambered for 12 gage shells that a good friend used for waterfowling.

·
Registered
18,421 Posts
Mossberg 835
Rhino Choke (.695 constriction)
Nitro Company Shotshells (4 X 5 X 7 hevishot)

Over 300 pellets at 40yds 10" circle

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have a 935 for turkey, is throws a great tight pattern.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
Got a bunch of new 835 choke tubes around here someplace, that someone gave me. Have to find them and see what they are?

Know they won't fit either of my M500s, so I have no use for them.

Okay, they're marked Accu Mag and there are two sets per envelope: About 2.75" long (flush mount type tubes), not blued, one .750 and one .730 near as I can measure?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Put them on the for sale thread, they won't last long.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
beagler, I will keep that set up in mind come spring. Right now I'm trying to get 3" 00 buckshot to pattern for gun season. The property I hunt down by Paoli is buckshot only. I had a Patternmaster in the old Mossy 500 that worked pretty good. Denny, I guess what you have there are full and mod chokes. What do you want for them?

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
No idea what those inside diameters translate too, as far as normal choke restrictions, but that's what they measure with a dial caliper?

These aren't blued or black, like the ones I checked on Mossberg's site, for Accu Mag choke tubes, but look like they're SS in appearance. New, unused. Will see what they're selling for and price them below that on the sale forum.

Otherwise, I'd have to slap myself upside the head fer sellin' stuff on this forum? Will figure it out and post them shortly. Don't imagine it would cost much to mail them, so price would include "shipping".

If anyone knows what those two diameters work out to, please advise.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Do not use a tight choke for buckshot.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
Got my real glasses on and here's what each tube is marked:

Tighter one says Xtra Full, T&F Steel.

Other one says MOD 2&BB Steel, All Lead.

Will put 'em on the for sale forum when I get to it.

·
Registered
18,421 Posts
Try Carlsen's Dead Coyote tube for shooting buckshot. That's what I use for shooting #4 buck while coyote hunting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts