Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions on which one is superior?

Any bad experiences with either one?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have a 835 and no problems with it except when I short-shuck with 3 1/2 loads. Has been to Canada, Missouri 2 times and around here and quite a few steel shells fired.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i have both sitting at the house. i like the rem more and its the one i hunt with. no problems with the 835 but the rem is better built in my opinion. just get what you like

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
both are great guns, with the slight edge going to the Mossberg if you want to shoot steel shot, with it's overbore barrel. I don't necessarily agree the Rem's are "built better", and I'm a BIG remington fan. I have an 870 supermag and love it, never had an issue. I have shot the 835, but don't shoot it as well. The Mossbergs fit me differently than the Remingtons and I shoot the Remingtons MUCH better as a result...

Pick whichever fits YOU best...can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bownut said:
both are great guns, with the slight edge going to the Mossberg if you want to shoot steel shot, with it's overbore barrel. I don't necessarily agree the Rem's are "built better", and I'm a BIG remington fan. I have an 870 supermag and love it, never had an issue. I have shot the 835, but don't shoot it as well. The Mossbergs fit me differently than the Remingtons and I shoot the Remingtons MUCH better as a result...

This is going to be a stupid question but what advantage does the overbore barrel give the 835?

I just got the 835 and was thinking about trading it in for a supermag. The newer ones fit me a lil bit better with that longer forend that goes all the way to the receiver. I'm used to shooting a semi and keep my front hand pretty much at the edge of receiver and forend on that.
With the mossy, I've been practicing pulling up with my front hand out farther, may sound dumb but its alot different than what I'm used to.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
SgtUSMC said:
bownut said:

This is going to be a stupid question but what advantage does the overbore barrel give the 835?

I just got the 835 and was thinking about trading it in for a supermag. The newer ones fit me a lil bit better with that longer forend that goes all the way to the receiver. I'm used to shooting a semi and keep my front hand pretty much at the edge of receiver and forend on that.
With the mossy, I've been practicing pulling up with my front hand out farther, may sound dumb but its alot different than what I'm used to.
Right from the mossberg website:

"Each and every component of the 835® was designed and tested around the demanding requirements of high-power 3 1/2" 12 gauge magnum ammo. Unlike other new-comers to this specialized market, who just modified their existing 2 3/4" - 3" shotguns, the 835® was designed to stay the course. The robust bolt, receiver, and other components are specifically sized for the longer shells and the downrange punishment they dish out.

In addition, all 835® Ulti-Mag® smooth bore barrels are overbored to 10 gauge bore dimensions, reducing recoil and producing exceptionally uniform patterns from both light and heavy shot charges. Working in tandem with the performance-enhancing overbored barrels, strategic placement of eight ports on each side of the 835® barrel direct gasses upward and outward to not only reduce felt recoil, but to minimize muzzle jump for quick second shot recovery. "

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Can't speak for the 835, but know several guys who have had many problems with 500's.

I'd take a Rem pump over a Mossberg Pump any day.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
The Remington 870 is better, I have a couple of them and
they are the best shotguns I have had. The 835 has trouble
cycling the shells sometimes but otherwise it is a good
shotgun.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys,
I got an older 835 combo on a trade and was thinking about trading it in for an 870 supermag. But I have grown quite fond of the ol 835. Especially after hearing of the great turkey patterns alot of guys are getting.

My main gripe is the rattle of the forend, but after some research it seems that the 2 shotguns are just built differently. Even the Benelli Nova's I handled rattled a bunch. As far as reliability, the Military is using Mossbergs and they have been functioning well in some nasty environments.

I did fire the rifled barrel at the range and it just didn't like any of the sabots I fed it. I'm not too worried about that though since I mainly got it as a waterfowl/turkey gun, and my Mossberg 695 bolt action slug gun is touching rounds on paper.

I guess this season will be the test, I'm gonna put it through some torture and that will be my deciding factor.

I wonder how a pump would have trouble cycling shells, I would think it would have to be more of an ammo problem, swelling maybe?

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I like the older 870's. Like 'em so much I durrently own 3 of them. A buddy of mine has an 870 with the smmooth bore slug barrel. It loves winchester rifled slugs. Can touch holes at 100 yards on paper with it. Enjoy the 835.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
835 any day!

I have (3) - Mossy 500's and (1)- Mossy 835. ALL work flawlessly. Super gun for the $$ IMHO.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stogey said:
I like the older 870's. Like 'em so much I durrently own 3 of them. A buddy of mine has an 870 with the smmooth bore slug barrel. It loves winchester rifled slugs. Can touch holes at 100 yards on paper with it. Enjoy the 835.
My buddy has an old smoothbore deerslayer that he drilled and tapped, and mounted a scope. He shoots the $4 a box Rem Sluggers into a ragged hole at 100 yards all day. I just never found a gun that liked the rifled slugs or beleive me I would definitely be saving the money and using rifled slugs

·
Registered
889 Posts
I can not explain why, other than just simply how a shotgun fits. But to me the Mossberg kick is noticeably more. I realize you are shooting the same shell. And I can not explain why. But the Mossberg just kicks the snot out of me, and I find the Remington to be manageable with 3-1/2" magnum shells.

I once had my hand against a tree when I was shooting the Mossberg. It brought blood to all four knuckles when my hand scraped the rough tree bark when the Mossberg recoiled. It did not take me long to get rid of it.

And I am not normally a recoil sensitive person. But my Mossberg had terrible muzzle flip and recoil. Tom.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
I have an 835 that wouldn't shuck spent Hevishot shells. So it's now my turkey only gun. I shoot lead for turkey.

I think the Remington 870 is built better IMO. Although I do not own one.

I shoot a Benelli Nova for waterfowl (Only because I can't afford a SBE) and it shoots flawlessly! They are reasonably priced too. Maybe sheck into one of them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts