The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 870 with the open sights slug barrel. I want to add a scope. Ive seen a saddle tactical type made from aluminum, picatinny rails. It mounts with two screws that replace the standard fire control group pins. Anyone have experience with this type mount? Also what would be an OK inexpensive variable scope. Or should I be thinking about a single power scope, this would be woods hunting only. Probably no more than 50-70 yds. Thanks. Uncrichie.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I'd stay away from that kind of mount....Get it D&T, put a Weaver base and rings on and you'll have a much more reliable set-up....a Leupold 4X is what is on my 870 and never any trouble with it....

FWIW...

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I wouldn't put a scope on that gun. The barrel isn't fixed to the receiver, and poor accuracy can/will result. I would see if I could find a cantelevered slug barrel.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I Use that type of mount for spring turkey and it works great ,,i have a 3x9 scope on it ,,but i never shot any slugs with it and dont know how accurate it would be if you took it on and off ,, like i do for spring turkey I remove the scope for other seasons ,BUt since you are using it with a slug barrel it might be ok if you lefted it on all the time ,, the only way to see is to try it and see if it holds zero while shooting slugs

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It MIGHT not be as accurate as a cantilever barrel, but it won't be any LESS accurate than it is now with open sights.

BSquare makes the mount you need, and they have it available with a straight 2X (I think) scope mounted as a package deal for probably $120 or so. Not a bad deal really. This is a goofy website to use, but you can google 870 saddle mount and find it available elsewhere.

http://www.b-square.com/

·
Registered
485 Posts
i have mounted several at the shop. they work much better with windage adjustable rings. they have very poor repeatability. you start from scratch everytime removed and remounted. however better than hose clamps and duct tape. don't laugh people i've seen that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have had a b square mount for over 10 years, while I don't have a scope on my slug gun I do use an inexpensive red dot sight. My max range is 75 yards since there is no magnification. I have always hit the pie plate at that distance from a bench or offhand. Even after taking the MOUNT off and changing the barrel for small game then putting it back on. A smoothbore was never designed to be a tackdriver anyway. As long as you keep distances close and your weapon sighted properly you'll be fine. The mount is rugged and simple and I cant imagine a lower power scope to be much different. If you want an honest to goodness 200 yard slug gun buy a cantilever mount with a rifled barrel.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all the info. I think I'll give the B-Square a try. I found a pretty good deal on the mount and a 2.5 x 20mm scope ($59.15+S/H). I realize the barrel is not an integral part of the receiver and a cause for some inaccuracy but may be acceptable. Thanks again. Uncrichie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts