The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 870 express this week and don't like the stock and forend. would it look stupid with the high gloss wingmaster stock on it since its got the matte finish?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
prob would look alright, i dont like a high gloss finish cause of the reflection. makes the gun look good, makes birds flare.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
jlh42581 said:
i dont like a high gloss finish cause of the reflection. makes the gun look good, makes birds flare.
First I ever heard this. I am betting that any bird that flares is doing so most likely because of detecting the motion of the gun being raised, and not due to a gloss finish.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
birds flaring because of my stock is the least of my worries. I can't hit them anyways. lol that would save me a ton of money on shells.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
jun1or said:
I bought an 870 express this week and don't like the stock and forend. would it look stupid with the high gloss wingmaster stock on it since its got the matte finish?
IMO, Yes it would look stupid. I was thinking about refinishing the stock and forend on one of my 870s since the finish is wearing off. I will go with a matte or satin finish. I think high gloss finishes are for rifles only or trap guns. JMO.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Well, I guess the thousands of ducks and geese I killed with my Browning Citori must have macular degeneration or something. They came right in to gun range and died, despite the fact that it had a beautiful hi-gloss bluing and high-sheen oiled stock and forearm. If the gun isn't moving, that's not a big deal. If the gun is moving anywhere except to your cheek and shoulder with trigger slap imminent, it doesn't matter what finish you have on your gun. Movement is movement and seen much more easily than some shine from a motionless gun.

Jun1or, one of THE BEST! sporting clays shooters in Western PA/Ohio shoots an 870. While he was still experimenting with gun fit, he had absolutely the ugliest gun I've ever seen. However, when he was posing for pics with a trophy and check, that gun didn't look that bad. Believe me, it was FUGLY!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts