The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to get a dedicated turkey shotgun for some time now and finely able to budget in a little extra for a gift for my self. Was dreaming of a Versa Max but that's a bit out of my budget right now, so I am narrowing it down to the Remington 870 express shurshot turkey or the 870 turkey/predator. My local shop can get them both under my budget. I have have shot many Mossberg 835's and 500's and was not a big fan. Mainly because they felt sloppy in my hand. I have handled the 870 but never shot one.

some of the things that really drew me to these two are the thumb-hole stock knowing that Remington safety is on the trigger guard vs the Mossberg tang safety. Also I liked that you could shoot left or right handed with the Remington thumb-hole stock. Have any of you had experience with ether of these two shotguns and if so what was your opinion?

870 SPS Turkey/Predater

or
870 express shurshot

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like the looks of that predator, but if you ever decide to ditch the scope it looks like youd need a new barrel becauuse I dont see any open sight on that one. I took a junior out last year and he had the the 870 shurshot, it worked shot a bird about 30 yards, he crushed it. I really like the fit and feel of them. Cant beat the 870 platform. I would go with just the 870 shurshot!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
forget the 870's for 3 1/ 2 inch ,,spend a few more bucks and get a semi ,the recoil on the 870 is nasty with 3 1/ 2 inch shells
you will be much happier down the road with a semi

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I agree w/ Dave2pa, 3 1/2" shells pack a punch, a semi would be nice, however, they cost a bit more.

I really like my 870 w/ shurshot stock, nice camo'ed up turkey gun.

Good luck w/ your decision, it's just fun buying any gun.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! I agree the semi would be ideal but, currently budget wont allow. I just got a phone call form my local shop and the SPS turkey/predator is out of stock with all his venders.

I have looked at Gander Mt. and there prices are nearly $40 more then my local shop and is nearly a hour drive to get there. May call a couple other local shops to see what they can do as well.

Rambo93 said:
I like the looks of that predator, but if you ever decide to ditch the scope it looks like youd need a new barrel becauuse I dont see any open sight on that one. I took a junior out last year and he had the the 870 shurshot, it worked shot a bird about 30 yards, he crushed it. I really like the fit and feel of them. Cant beat the 870 platform. I would go with just the 870 shurshot!
Rambo, I am leaning to the Shurshot because of the sight issue... the SPS turkey/predator does have a front bead but is camo not a ivory bead, also would limit anytime of fiber optic sight upgrade if i were to drop the scope

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
Here's my 870 Special Purpose (3") done up for Turkeys:

Has a 660 Jellyhead choke, TruGlo ghost ring sights with fiber inserts, and a Hunter's Specialties "V-pod". This is the first year with the ShurShot on it, but I think I'll like it!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Check out the stoeger m3500. Im looking for one now for an all purpose gun. They have mixed reviews. My buddy has one and he loves it.

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
It does relatively well on patterns. I'm shooting 3" Hevi13's with 2oz of #6's. Last year's patterns show I got 91 hits in a 10" circle at 45 yards.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Well, I really like the Rem. 870 so I say good choice.

I'm not sure what advantages/ disadvantages the thumbhole stock gives you, but I shoot a regular stocked, vent ribbed special purpose 3", and that's all the gun I'll ever need.

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
I like the fit of the ShurShot, gives me a bit better cheek weld, and the pistol grip (isn't really a true thumbhole) allows me to hold the gun more easily/comfortably with it up on that v-pod. Makes for almost no movement to shoot when the bird appears.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I'm sure your rig is comfortable, no doubt. I just always wondered how easy it is to move around when that bird shows up off your right or left shoulder?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the 870 supermag with the sureshot stock. The fiber optic sights on the gun are great. The recoil pad on the stock works well and the sureshot stock actually tames down the recoil because some of the recoil is being absorbed through your hand and down your arm. The HD choke that comes with the gun works great. Save your money and give the choke that comes with it a try. I get 180 in a 10 inch circle using the HD choke and hevi 13 , 3 inch 2oz. #6.

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
Shouldn't be to bad to maneuver. I guess I'll find out!

I got a good buy on it on ebay, so if I don't like it, I'll put the wood back on and likely recover my money easily enough.

·
Registered
927 Posts

I just got this 870 supermag with mossyoak bottomland camo. I love it and im putting my truglo red dot on it as soon as my mount arrives.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Iv taken it out coyote hunting 3 times already and havnt even shot it once ever lol. gettin kinda impatient

1 - 17 of 17 Posts