The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Uh... NO. They are chrome lined (not the shiny stuff). I think most all new shotguns are made this way. It is basically a lining that is harder than the steel that is shot from the gun so it won't wear down causing you to eventually to shoot an improced cylinder.

· Registered
1,440 Posts
I would have to guess since it is an 870 that is only chambered for 2 3/4" shells, and it is a fixed mod choke that it is NOT steel shot approved.

If you want to hunt waterfowl with non-toxic shot I would recommend getting on the waterfowl forum, and asking what kinds of shot can be shot from older barrrels. There are some out there. Yes. It will cost more than steel shot, but unless you are doing a lot of shooting it will be cheaper than a new barrel.

Another option would be to trade the gun you have now for a newer model. You could get an express that is rated for steel, have a 3" chamber, and have the option for different choke tubes. I think those guns go for around $300. If you could get $200 for yours it would only cost you $100.

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Barrels rated for steel shot are chrome lined. All new guns are made that way. Most prior to steel shot being required by law were not.

Need to add. It is ot unsafe to fire steel shot from an older barrel. It will however open up the choke on the gun as it will slowly wear away the choke in the barrel.

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Dogface said:
2. Barrels are chromed lined to make them resistant to corrosion and easier to clean. It has nothing to do with steel shot.
Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how it comes across when you read the specifications from many of the new guns made today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.