The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been thinking of getting into goose hunting, my only problem is with my 870 barrel. It's a fixed mod. choke... How do i know that this is 'steel rated'? Only reason i ask is as i was looking though the Cabelas book today looking at decoys i saw the replacement 870 barrels and i looked to see the price, and saw that there where a few that where "steel rated'... Whats this all about? I don't feel like putting $250+ into a 'steel rated' barrel if its not needed

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Uh... NO. They are chrome lined (not the shiny stuff). I think most all new shotguns are made this way. It is basically a lining that is harder than the steel that is shot from the gun so it won't wear down causing you to eventually to shoot an improced cylinder.

·
Registered
367 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
Uh... NO. They are chrome lined (not the shiny stuff). I think most all new shotguns are made this way. It is basically a lining that is harder than the steel that is shot from the gun so it won't wear down causing you to eventually to shoot an improced cylinder.
uh... so what your saying is all there new barrels can handle steel.im saying the ones the say are steel rated come with a full choke instead of a mod, and thats the only difference. from what im told

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
sawdust82 said:
hunt/fish365 said:
uh... so what your saying is all there new barrels can handle steel.im saying the ones the say are steel rated come with a full choke instead of a mod, and thats the only difference. from what im told
Most gun manufactures do not want you using a full choke for steel. It is harder than lead and there in no give when it is comming out of the barrel which may cause your barrel to bulge. Most new barrels are made for steel shot, older ones will say steel approved or have steel rated somewhere on it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where would that be located on the barrel? All my barrel says is

"2 3/4 or shorter shells...... Mod..... J|L.... O... X...80
And the other side says the remington thing and all the patent #'s and
R.E.P. incircled a P just outside the incircling and a big freckin M and a G inside a triangle...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ANd i'm not sure if its a new barrel or an older barrel, hence why i'm asking and putting all these letters up on my last post, dont really wanta spend $250 for a new barrel if not needed, but dont feel like getting half way though next year and having to get a new barrel

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
A modern modified choke barrel will handle steel shot. Your 870 barrel should be OK.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I would have to guess since it is an 870 that is only chambered for 2 3/4" shells, and it is a fixed mod choke that it is NOT steel shot approved.

If you want to hunt waterfowl with non-toxic shot I would recommend getting on the waterfowl forum, and asking what kinds of shot can be shot from older barrrels. There are some out there. Yes. It will cost more than steel shot, but unless you are doing a lot of shooting it will be cheaper than a new barrel.

Another option would be to trade the gun you have now for a newer model. You could get an express that is rated for steel, have a 3" chamber, and have the option for different choke tubes. I think those guns go for around $300. If you could get $200 for yours it would only cost you $100.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
TheASlayer said:
ANd i'm not sure if its a new barrel or an older barrel, hence why i'm asking and putting all these letters up on my last post, dont really wanta spend $250 for a new barrel if not needed, but dont feel like getting half way though next year and having to get a new barrel
If you determine that its not capable of shooting steel. You should re-think buying a new barrel for $250. You could definately find a used 870 Express with 3" shell capability for that price. You may even find a new combo model for not a whole lot more.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
What not just contact Remington directly and ask them?

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
Manufactures recommend that you don't use steel shot in full choke barrels because of a characteristic of steel shot not because the barrels are not tough enough to shoot steel shot.

Steel shot does not give or flow like lead when it passes through a choke. It stays together or "bridges". If it does not give and does not fit through the choke constriction then the barrel might bulge.

This usually only applies to tight choke constrictions and larger steel shot. This also applies to the newest screw in choke tubes of the latest metals.

BTW steel shot is one of the softest steels.....much softer than the steel used in barrels.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Use the barrel you have. To many worry warts give warnings because a friend's sister's husband says you can't. Give Remington a call and ask them. As long as you don't shoot steel through a full choke you will be OK.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
spunky said:
Use the barrel you have. To many worry warts give warnings because a friend's sister's husband says you can't. Give Remington a call and ask them. As long as you don't shoot steel through a full choke you will be OK.
You are right on the calling remington part but I would not trust the barrel unless it is clearly marked. As hunt fish said it is a 2 3/4 only barrel which leads me to believe that it is not steel approved. It is generally marked on the left side onder the chamber and choke limitations.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
I don’t think I have ever seen a shotgun barrel marked “OK for Steel Shot”. I have seen barrels and chokes marked “Not for Use with Steel Shot”.

A little history lesson may clear up some misconceptions. Steel shot came into use in the late 1980’s to early 1990’s. It was introduced for waterfowl hunting on a state by state basis by Federal regulation.

Prior to the above period we only had lead shot and almost all 12 gage shotguns had 2 ¾” chambers. When steel shot was introduced it was designed to be used in these older guns. The exception being full choke barrels because of the possibility of bridging mentioned in the previous post.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now i know this might sound really dumb but,, what really is the importance of a 'steel rated' barrel?? if steel is lighter than lead, wouldnt it mean a lighter psi on the barrel? If all the shot is contained in the wadding, what would there to be to damage the barrel if using the correct choke?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Barrels rated for steel shot are chrome lined. All new guns are made that way. Most prior to steel shot being required by law were not.

Need to add. It is ot unsafe to fire steel shot from an older barrel. It will however open up the choke on the gun as it will slowly wear away the choke in the barrel.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
The difference is not light vs. heavy. It is soft vs. hard. Lead is much softer than steel. Lead gives as it moves through a choke constriction, steel does not.

Steel shot wads are much thicker than lead shot wads. This is done to protect the barrel from scoring and because steel shot could be forced through the walls of a lead shot wad. If this happened the steel shot could score or mark the barrel. This was a concern when steel was first introduced but I never saw it happen to my guns.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hunt/fish365 said:
Barrels rated for steel shot are chrome lined. All new guns are made that way. Most prior to steel shot being required by law were not.

Need to add. It is ot unsafe to fire steel shot from an older barrel. It will however open up the choke on the gun as it will slowly wear away the choke in the barrel.
How do you know if its chrome lined or not? I'm not sure on how old the gun is... My dad bought it off a dealer a few years ago, and it was used before that, if i'd have to guess i'd say prolly under 10 years old.. I think i will contact Remington on monday, just to see what they say

1 - 20 of 28 Posts