The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hunting a mountain flat that is a natural cruising area for bucks during the rut. At 8:00, I heard a deer walking up the mountain from me and headed my way. I readied myself and then I saw him. Right away I knew he was a shooter. He was roughly 75 yards out and was walking parallel to me above the bench I was on. I gave him a couple grunts, which stopped him, then I can called. He walked a couple steps and began to tear up a tree. He then kept walking straight ahead and away from me, so I grunted three times and hit the can again. This time he wheeled around and came downhill towards me. He tore up another sapling and began closing the distance. I checked him out with my binoculars and saw he was an 8 point with roughly a 17" spread. He had thick antlers and his body was huge. I had one opening to shoot through, as the area I was hunting is full of saplings and vines. When he neared the opening, I drew and bleated with my mouth to stop him. I settled the pin and squeezed the shot off only to see my arrow graze the top of his back. He ran about 40 yards and didn't know what had happened. I grunted a couple times and can called again and almost had him convinced into investigating, but he decided otherwise and walked off. I was bummed to say the least and sat down to think about what had just happened. 10 minutes later I decided to do a grunting sequence and I can called 3 times. 5 minutes later I heard the faint sound of a deer walking to my left. I spotted the deer and saw it was a buck right away. He stopped and made a rub, then walked in the direction the last buck had disappeared to, so I grunted a couple times. He stopped and made another rub, then walked towards me a little further and spent roughly 5 minutes making a scrape. I watched this deer get up on his hind legs twice to thrash the overhanging limbs above his scrape and he rub his eye glands all over it. I knew bucks got up on their hind legs to do this sometimes, but it was so cool to see one actually do it. I watched him in my binoculars and saw that he was an 8 pointer, but wasn't real wide. As he began to walk in my direction, I couldn't decide if I was going to pass on him or shoot him because I knew there was much bigger bucks in the area that I had seen and had on my trail cameras. I made my mind up that I was going to shoot him then because of all the cool things I had seen him do and the combination of events leading up to the shot. He then proceeded towards me and made another two scrapes and two rubs before I stopped him almost in the same spot I had just missed the previous buck at. I settled the pin and drilled him with a perfect double lung hit. He ran roughly 50 yards and piled up! The rage two blade had done the job. I sat down and enjoyed a nice cup of hot tea, thanked the good Lord above, then climbed down.

The buck I grazed earlier was much bigger than the one I shot and I have been after some great bucks on this property. This hunt wasn't about the size of the horns or his age, it was about the thrill of the hunt and I'm very happy with this deer.

Like I said above, both bucks stopped almost in the same spot. A picture of my red covered arrow and the missed arrow that were about 2 feet apart.

Where he made a scrape and got up on his hind legs twice

Hero shot

Thanks for reading and best of luck to you guys the rest of the season!

·
Registered
835 Posts
great story and nice buck. Congrats.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Congrats Nate! nice buck and story to go along with it. I'm still holding out for my big boy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts