The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that archery is over and I did not harvest a buck for the first time in a long time I am rifle hunting this year. I have always used my trusty 30.06 but I recently picked up a 7mm08. My question is are there anybody out there that use the 7mm08 or would rather use it over the 06? I know that the deer wont know the difference and its all about shot placement but how is the knockdown power and the blood trailing when the do run with the 7mm08. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
301 Posts
im 24 now and up till about 2 years ago ive always used a 7mm08 im running a 270wsm but i only bought that because i just like collecting guns but i have never lost a deer with it and you are right its allot about shot placement i usualy tried for neck shots on does and they always droppped in there tracks and for bucks right behinf the front shoulder they usualy dropped right away but there were a few times ive shot them and they ran 150yds only to my amazement when i was gutting them there heart looked like jelly and i reload my own but i usualy went with 140gr nosler combined technology and that put them down good also ive made shots with it at 300 yds and it just dropped them like a bad habbit in my opinion you cant go wron with the 7mm08its an all around good deer gun

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
My dad used an '06 all his life until he had shoulder surgery and had to go with a little less recoil. We got him a 7mm-08 and he LOVES it. Every deer he has shot with it has been a bang-flop. No issues with that round on deer. If you don't drop a deer with it, it's because you didn't do your part, not because of the cartridge's capabilities. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 08 but I never got the bang-flop every talks about with good shot placement. I guess I'm the dissenting voice I'd rather the 06. Of course the type of bullet makes a difference also.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As RobOz said, flip a coin. I too have them both and that's pretty much what I do. Although I seem to take the 7mm-08 more often. Mainly because it is synthetic so I don't have to worry about the weather with it but also for deer, it is more than enough.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
7mm-08. It's an outstanding deer cartridge. 30-06 is also a great cartridge. I like my 7mm-08 with 140 grain core-lokts, easy on the recoil, accurate, and it can be found in light weight rifles. All of the deer I've harvested with it have been quick efficient kills, if I do my part. What make and model do you have?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have both- I carried the 7mm-08 last weekend in NY. I'll probably use the 06 for the PA opener. Why? No reason, I am just as happy with either one- can't go wrong!

Will

·
Registered
760 Posts
Go with the 7mm-08. I have a Ruger Hawkeye in that caliber and love it. My wife is going to use it this year as I have a 25-06 that's been in the safe for a few years that I have yet to hunt with. Time to take it for a walk in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
My father went to a 7-08 as he's getting older and likes the recoil of his 30-06 less. I've seen his 7-08 kill deer pretty effectively.

Two things that are a factor, and you control them both:

1- bullet used
2- shot placement

A lot of PA hunters use a 150gr bullet in a 30-06, and I did, as well, for a long time. If you look at the ballistic qualities of the 7mm (0.284") bullet vs. the 30-cal (0.308" bullet), you'll see there's not a heck of a lot of difference between a 140 7mm and a 150 30-cal. Some may point out the modestly larger frontal area of the 30, and while they're correct, I'd suggest it's not enough to make that much of a difference on deer.

Now, take factory 30-06 loads and factory 7-08 loads, and, absent specialty ammo or the like, I bet you're running within 200fps for the two.

Differences? Not a whole lot that I can think of.

So....long-winded way of saying that if you use a quality bullet and plant it in the right spot, you will get nearly identical results between the two.

I've shot deer with about a dozen different centerfire rounds, ranging from the 243 Win to the 45-70. I can't say that, given similar shot placement and bullet construction, I see much difference in what happens when the shot hits the deer, except for the following:

-Frontal area does help, if it's a significant increase. The best blood trails I've seen came from my 35 Whelen. Actually better than my 45-70, but....the Whelen cranks bullets out awful fast compared to the old 45-70, and I'm running 250's so I don't give up a TON of weight, either.

-Speed does help, if it's significantly more. Several hundred fps more. My 30-mags (300H&H and 300WSM) do show more authoritative kills than my 30-06. I'm running 165's at a modest 2700 from the 06, and 180's in the 2900-3000 range from the mag rounds. Those 180's are humping right along, and when they hit stuff, it gets dead pretty fast.

Take any 308/30-06 based round that has a semi-similar (I would not compare a 243 Win to a 358 Win, for example)frontal area, feed it similar construction bullets, work with similar ballistic coefficient/sectional density, and guess what? Your trajectory and your on-game results will have next to no variance from round to round, assuming similar shot placement.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I own both and have dropped more deer in their tracks with my 7mm 08 than my 30-06. It's a great caliber. I have a Remington model 7 7mm 08 that is a good bit lighter than my 30.06. If I plan on walking a lot, I take that or whatever I feel like taking in the woods that day. Only thing I don't like about the 7mm 08 is the cost of ammo.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Both my son's hunt with a 7mm-08 and they have had 90% of their deer do the "bang flop". I use a 7mm mag, 300wsm, and 30-06 and I don't have near the "bang flop" they do. We all shoot for front shoulder or slightly behind.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I'd be curious to know what bullets are used in those catridges, as I'll bet that has more to do with it than the chambering.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
tdd said:
I'd be curious to know what bullets are used in those catridges, as I'll bet that has more to do with it than the chambering.
Bingo!!!!! You're hitting the nail squarely on the head. This is the case no matter what cartridge you're shooting. Along with shot placement.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
123britt321 said:
My question is are there anybody out there that use the 7mm08 or would rather use it over the 06?
I'd take the 7-08. Short action, less recoil, and a lot of good bullets available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 7mmo8s in a couple different makes and models and they are a awesome caliber. I've never had an issue with any deer running off.load it with a 140 grain nosler ballistic tip or a Hornady sst interlock and it will do wonders. As far as would I chose my 3006 or my 7mmo8 I would chose my 7mmo8 any day.I have killed white tail, bear moose and elk with it with no problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts