The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on if this is a good caliber to be deer hunting with.i have some shoulder issues and cant handle to much recoil and heard good things about this gun.i am pretty much asking how it does on deer and if it has the power to blow through both shoulders of the deer? thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think it's one of the best deer cartridges out there. Mine is dead nuts accurate and very little recoil. It's a pleasure to shoot !!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have had my right shoulder rotator cuff repaired twice, and the recoil does not bother me. This caliber has been promoted as a ladies favorite because of the moderate recoil.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I've used the excellent 7mm-08 ever since it came out and have shot perhaps 20 deer with mine, all at wods ranges of 100 yards or less...For some strange reason deer seem to drop in their tracks with a hit from this rifle and I have never failed to get full penetration on both shoulders (so to speak).For deer, I feel this cartridge is "just right".

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep...What everyone else said. I've shot 20 or so deer with my Old Style Model Seven (18.5 Barrel) and it has never dissapointed. As with ANY other caliber, you still have to do your part.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
IMHO, I think its the best Whitetail cartridge going and I don't even own one anymore.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I would agree with all the above comments...however, unless you handload I wouldn't go for a 7-08. Why? The cartridges always seem to be priced a good bit higher then others of equal merit. Guys who buy factory 7-08 rounds can correct me if I'm wrong here.

Muab

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree factory loads are indeed higher priced for the 7mm-08, and even higher for the .260rem fans. I reload for both and love the wide selection of bullet weights and styles for the 7mm. We got one deer each with both of them last season, no problems with killing power from either one, both shots were less than 60 yards.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
BrownTrout said:
IMHO, I think its the best Whitetail cartridge going and I don't even own one anymore.

Same here. A collector talked me out of my 7600 in 7mm-08 but it was probably the best pure deer gun I ever owned.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have one in the ruger frontier and it is very accurate and pretty easy on the shoulder. i took 1 deer with it and my son has taken 2. the one i hit was right in the front shoulder quartering towards me and it ran like a bat out of heck for about 75 yards and dropped. my boys both were hit a little too far back and ran a ways so it was probably the shot placement. but that said, i wouldn't hesitate to use the 7-08 again.

for light recoil and cheap ammo, have you considered the 30/30? i know its old school but it is a nice combo of hitting power and light recoil and cheap ammo.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I handload 140 gr balistic CTs for my Encore Pro Hunter and my Savage 16 FCSS and 120 gr for my Encore Super 15. I have never needed more than one shot on a whitetail from about 30 paces to almost 200 yards. It can be loaded to virtually .308 (and better) balistics with alot less recoil. I even loaded some heavier stuff for a friend when he took his on an elk hunt in Montrose CO. He has the same savage as me and took a nice 5x5 at about 160 yards with a heart lung shot. Elk ran about 40 yards pumping blood like someone popped the tops off of 2 one gallon milk jugs and piled up stone dead. He hit him twice in that short period of time though the elk didn't needit. For such a "small" cartrige, that elk sure was dead.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Muab Dib said:
I would agree with all the above comments...however, unless you handload I wouldn't go for a 7-08. Why? The cartridges always seem to be priced a good bit higher then others of equal merit. Guys who buy factory 7-08 rounds can correct me if I'm wrong here.

Muab
No, you're right, as soon as you get off of the standard 243, 270, 30-30, 30-06, ammo gets quite pricy..Even .35 Remington shells go $20 or so...Handloading is a must.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The 7-08 along with the 7X57 cartridge are pretty good deer cartridges. IMO they are far from the best. But they are more than adequate to get the job done. A good 120 grain bullet should get your recoil into a range that would help out your shoulder, yet still give you a decent bullet that is more than heavy enough to get the job done.

IMO the 284 caliber is considerably better than the 257 caliber for deer. But the recoil is pretty close. The 25 caliber recoil will be a bit lighter, but not by alot. And IMO not enough to lower yourself to that caliber.

Remington offered the 700 BDL Varmint Special in that cartridge(7-08) for awhile. I have a friend who has one, and he also has a shoulder problem. The rifle is a tad bit heavy for stalking hunters, but for stand hunting it makes a fantastic rifle. Very steady and accurate. And in the Varmint profile the recoil is very low. Tom.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Adam K said:
15 years with my 7-08 and 120 grain ballistic tips. Never lost one with it.
Amen to that. The 120 BT's do an awesome job on deer and with less recoil than heavier bullets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts