The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a win mod 70 in 7 mm wsm but have been thinking selling it and buying a 7 mm rem mag. The reason being the price of ammo plus its hard to find wsm ammo in the stores around here. Has anyone shot both i was wondering if there is much diff in velocity and recoil. I know the rem mag has a wider selection of bullets loaded in factory ammo. Any info or help making up my mind would be great.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Have heard great things about that 7mm WSM! Suppose to be a real shooter. And you could start reloading to combat the high price of factory ammo.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would certainly go with the WSM. Check different websites out for ballistics and compare both. Most sites will have a chart with say.. 165 BTHP for both. See what you prefer. Like matt75bronco said^ reloading is a good answer to the money issue, now starting off will be the tough one forking out the money, but if you plan on shooting it ALOT, it will save you in the end. If youre only planning on hunting deer with it, one of youre limited choice of shells locally might turn out to be a good shooter anyways.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/
Might give you a rough idea

·
Registered
699 Posts
I am a big fan of the 7mm calibers. I am very familiar with the two you ask about. I shot and hunted with a 7mm mag for many years, it served me well and is certainly popular. I jumped ship to a 7mm WSM when they came out. I see no difference in recoil or ballistics to speak of, but the reason I switched was the WSM can be had in a much handier gun. I went from a 24" barrel with a long action to a short action with a 22" barrel with the WSM. To me that was huge, I like shorter guns and the short action bolt throw is nice. My WSM is scary accurate. As for the ammo, in my area (5C) I wouldn't say it's hard to find. A bit salty in price, yeah. What I do is buy a couple boxes throughout the year and by hunting season I am good to go. I have been saving all of my brass, as my long term goal is to reload. There is a wide selection of reloading supplies for the 7mm, and I think you can really do a lot with the 7mm WSM on the bench. I think it's a keeper. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
in the real world of hunting there will be no differance in ballistics and no deer will ever tell the difference

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
valkrider88 ya thats why i like the wsm its short and fast handling. I do pretty much as you said i have picked up a few box of shells here and there. I have had to order off the net gander sometimes has a box or two and thats it. There is one gun shop that usally has some but its cheaper to order them. I shoot the federal 160gr nosler pt or win 150gr power point what is your fav ammo bullet? Mine is a great shooter so i dont relly want to get rid of it. but

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
People everywhere are realizing the same thing..it doesn't matter which of the short mags or calibers you choose..ammo manufacturers have got you trapped and there not giving much of a break to the old standby magnums anymore either..before I pay $60.00 plus for any ammo, I quit shooting!!!!! It's rediculous, handloading has taken a big jump lately but still it's a steal compared to off the shelf..sad part is, the short mags for the most part use just about as much powder, same primer, same bullet..have about the same ballistics and cost sometimes twice as much...I'm glad I only own one, a SS model 7 in .300SAUM..love that little rifle...I think overall you might be better off with all the old stand-bys..7mmRM, 300 WM and .338WM and all the rest..even the old .270 standard mmight be just as good as the short version..afterall, ther's only a hundred fps difference and even less when compared to the standard magnums...older maybe better!!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Why are they a gimmick? they go bang and spit a bullet out fast enough to kill game, from a short action gun. Where's the gimmick? Are they filled with fake powder?

·
Registered
722 Posts
OHaraTree said:
Why are they a gimmick? they go bang and spit a bullet out fast enough to kill game, from a short action gun. Where's the gimmick? Are they filled with fake powder?
what he said.. and by the way to correct a previous post, all of the short magnums can be loaded up to 400 fps faster than their standard calibers.. that's a pretty significant difference for shocking power, and improves trajectory by a margin also.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I tried to stay out of this cause never was or will be a fan of 7mm's. what is so inportant about short actions. Just don't get it. From what i've seen the LONG, LONG Rem mag. is 2520 Win.short mag.2375 and the rum is 2767 energy at 200 yds....later

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
OHaraTree said:

"In marketing language, a gimmick is a quirky feature that distinguishes a product or service without adding any obvious function or value. Thus, a gimmick sells solely on the basis of distinctiveness and may not appeal to the more savvy or shrewd customer".

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
what is so important about short actions? The same thing that is so important about pump guns, and see thru rings, or monte carlo stocks. Its a matter of preference and fit.

Short mags are simply another option for shooters and hunters. If you dont like them, dont buy them.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
bucktrap said:
all of the short magnums can be loaded up to 400 fps faster than their standard calibers.
Either I'm reading this wrong or I'm just not buying it.
what are you considering a "standard caliber" that the WSM's are 400 fps faster?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't know about the other WSM's but the 300 is hard pressed to actualy keep up with the 300 Win mag, it is close though.I like the 300WSM better because it has a longer case neck, no belt, and comes in a short action rifle.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 7 wsm is the same it is just a little under the 7rem mag in velocity but not much. I also like the fact its a short action and very fast handling. I am going to keep it i was looking at ammo for the 7 rm and the price is not a whole lot diffrent for the federal loads with the nosler pt bullet. I dont shoot it a lot so i have enough shells for awhile. Im buying a 30-06 anyhow which will be cheaper to shoot. I was just looking at the rem mag because ammo is easy to find in most stores.

·
Registered
722 Posts
kudu58 said:
bucktrap said:
all of the short magnums can be loaded up to 400 fps faster than their standard calibers.
Either I'm reading this wrong or I'm just not buying it.
what are you considering a "standard caliber" that the WSM's are 400 fps faster?
First of all, go buy a hornady, nosler, or sierra reloading and trajectory manual, and take a peek for more information if you "dont buy it". All manufacturers agree to a faster FPS with a short mag than "it's standard caliber".

Second of all, learn how to read because i didn't say "a standard caliber" i said a short magnum versus "It's standard caliber" in other words 270 win is the standard caliber of a 270wsm.

·
Registered
722 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
I tried to stay out of this cause never was or will be a fan of 7mm's. what is so inportant about short actions. Just don't get it. From what i've seen the LONG, LONG Rem mag. is 2520 Win.short mag.2375 and the rum is 2767 energy at 200 yds....later

If this is the information you have seen, then you obviously haven't seen it all buddy. This data may hold true for some factory loads, but it you reload, different powders, and powder weight can be used to load a wsm much faster than it's standard caliber, creating more energy.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
bbl be it 22. 24 26 inches,temp that day ,alot comes into play, the short mags are good for a quick bolt, but dont get things to confused, the 7mm remington mag loses nothing over the shorts, in fact it wont be replaced by any of them,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts