The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ruger no.1 7mm stw and am having trouble getting it to shoot tight groups, in fact no groups at all.I have tried several different loads and still no luck. Just wondering if anybody has had the same trouble?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The 7mm stw is a very accurate round in most rifles.The Ruger#1 can be very picky. Most will shot great after a gunsmith or you if your handy put a set screw in the forearm hanger to put pressure between the hanger and barrel. I have had this done and it can shrink groups like you cant believe! Most #1,s will shoot great with a little help. I myself love the STW, I have had two built and the last one is my go to rifle. Last one i would ever part with! Take your forearm off and try a hardwood wedge under the hanger. Put a little pressure on it by driving the wedge in a little at a time. Shoot groups WITHOUT the forearm on the gun. This will tell you if the gun will respond to set screw pressure. If it does, find a gunsmith that can drill and tap the hanger for you. It has to go in at a angle, very, very hard to do with a drill. Best done on a milling machine. I hope this helps point you in the right direction. If you need some info on gunsmiths i have used for this,PM me and i will give you some names and numbers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you cutty , I will try it.This gun has been driving me nuts since I bought it last year . I thought maybe there were some machining issues with it since it was not a factory caliber.I'll let you know how it goes just as soon as I can afford to get it done , thanks again...

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Yeah, I love the caliber too and can get them to shoot very well. You should be able to get some groups out of this with the above information, good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I joined.I have asked everybody and their dog about this gun and was getting close to selling or trading it in,but with this new info I'll give it another shot or two....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts