The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went .300 Win. Mag here because I think it can do everything the 7mm can do and plus a little more.

·
Super Moderator
7,775 Posts
moosehunter said:
I went .300 Win. Mag here because I think it can do everything the 7mm can do and plus a little more.
+1. Read a great article in Outdoor Life a few years ago where a professional elk guide was asked to compare the 7mmRM to the .30-06. He claimed there wasn't a nickel's worth of difference in effectiveness on elk between the two. Looking at ballistics, it seems he wasn't off the mark. The difference between the '06 and the 7mmRM seems about the same as that between the '06 and the .270 (going in the other direction).

The .300 will give you everything the '06 does and do it 100-150 yards farther out.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A 300 WM will grind a whitetail deer into hamburger...The higher velocity is not needed unless your shooting at a deer at 500 yards..It is good for elk and has taken alot of grizzlys but deer in PA it is overkill.The 7mm mag is an excellent cartridge for deer and will kill elk and moose with a properly placed shot.And could kill a grizzly bear but a close up charge from a grizzly would be a little scary.I read a book once where 2 brothers in Alaska did kill some grizzlys with it.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only one I owned of these two was the 7mm mag. That's because I got a Remington 710 dirt cheap. When I found out how crappy a rifle it was I moved it along pretty quick. I often contemplate the purchase of a good .300 mag though.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
My only gripe with the 300 Magnum is the intense recoil, much more so than the 7mm Magnum...And I don't think you will find a deeper penetrating bullet than a 175 gr. 7mm slug for the really big stuff......As for long range deer hunting, it would be awful tough to beat a 140 gr. Ballistic Tip out of a 7mm magnum

·
Super Moderator
7,775 Posts
Big Ken said:
My only gripe with the 300 Magnum is the intense recoil, much more so than the 7mm Magnum...And I don't think you will find a deeper penetrating bullet than a 175 gr. 7mm slug for the really big stuff......As for long range deer hunting, it would be awful tough to beat a 140 gr. Ballistic Tip out of a 7mm magnum
I bet a 160gr .264" bullet from one of the .264/6.5mm mags would give it a run for its money.

·
Registered
513 Posts
300 recoil didn't bother me. My howa shot very well. To me it's overkill around here but if I had to choose it would be the 300.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Been shooting one since 1971 when I used my brother's rifle tohavest the 8 pt on my wall. Got my 700 in 1972 and it still shoots moa when I do my part with either 165 or 180 Hornadys. Gee I forgot to add it is a .300 Win.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts