The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a WWII German Mauser in 7mm. It has been sporterized. Don't ask me or make all the silly comments about why the heck he is shooting something like that with all the up-to-date guns on the market today. I have asked this question a 100 times and he has other more modern rifles in his gun cabinet, and it surely isnt a matter of not having the cash because he surely does, he just plain and simple will not change what he shoots. The gun is heavy as heck and awkward in my opinion and the doggone gun should be retired, however he won't do it. So here is the issue he and I are saddled with.

About a month ago, he picked up the gun after having issues with getting it "sighted in" and I went to the range. We checked the scope mounts, and the rings, but it was shooting all over the board at 25 yds and 100 yds. So I had him switch scopes, to a brand new one right out of the box. This time I attached it and double checked it. Then I noticed that 1 out of every 10 casings were split. He is using 145 grain Winchester Super X bullets. On top of this when he shoots at 100 yards he will fire 3 shots in a row, the first shot will be 8 inches left and 10 inches low, then the 2nd usually 4 left and 4 low and the 3rd will be close if not right in the bullseye. After watching him shoot like this 12-15 shots per day for over a week, yesterday I decided to try my luck. I only fired two shots. The first shot was about 8 and 8 low and left and then my 2nd shot was an inch high and perfect L to R. I suggested we try either Remington or Federal ammo as my Weatherby shoots different depending on ammo. We talked to a dealer yesterday who specializes in sales of these "older" rifles and he stated that the split cases could be bad cartridges from Winchester or else the chamber could be going south considering this was a war used rifle and the potential number of shots could have worn out the chamber. Have any other shooters had this issue with these WWII rifles? On the up side he is finally considering other guns!

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I normally shoot a Remington from WWI for deer and for fun I have a M1 Garand and carbine: they all shoot just fine. Any rifle can be abused or shot out over time. If he likes the chambering so much and is willing to pay for the ammunition or reload it himself he should have it rebarreled with a new 7x57 barrel and continue to shoot it.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
You gotta remember these battle rifles were made with loose chambers to allow for dirt that would be consistant with field conditions. Many things affect accuracy, worn chamber, worn muzzle from cleaning rod wear and barrel wear from corrosive powders and FMJ ammo. I would try Federal ammo and see what it does.

Don't sell out these old battle rifles because I have MANY and a couple that with open sights that will outshoot most Remchesters.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i second both of comment above!!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If this is a german mauser it may be chambered for the WWII 8mm Mauser round. Only the Spanish mausers were 7mm. I would check the diameter of the bullets in the bore to make certain he is using the correct ammo!

PS I have a 1930 Brazilian CZ.24 in 7mm mauser.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being that I know about as much about these old rifles as you boys do about my wife... I will have to question him on whether or not its German or Spanish. He has always told me it was German and I do know he has an M1 Garand (not that, that fact has anything to do with the make of this rifle). I will ask him though and see if there are any distinguishing marks on the gun.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
It's mostly likely a spanish gun. Not too long ago they were plentifull and cheap. My uncle had one, and it shot really well.

First I would try different ammo. Second I would look at the crown at the end of the barrel.

As far as split cases I've seen that happen with modern guns. Pretty sure it's just bad brass. I normally see that from remington cases though. I'm sure there will be someone on here tell you to have a chamber cast made.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It sounds to me like you answered you own question.
Why does it shoot better with the 2nd or 3rd shot?
think about what happens when you fire that gun the metal gets hot right? what happens to steel when it gets hot? it expands right? steel not only expands outward but in a tube shape such as a barrel it also expands inward also decreasing the inside diameter of the bore and chamber which with tighter tolerances the gun shoots better. I would say rebarrel it because I also agree with the preceding statements that old mil-surp guns still have good service left in them but this one has a bad or worn out chamber or barrel. in a hunting firearm its most likely the cold bore shot that counts.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys.. I did double check with him and he swears its German but takes the 7mm Mauser cartridge. I will see again later today and investigate closer.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Onc it is an old gun that was sporterized years ago, it could be anything. I'd measure thos split cases to see if the od neck size is 8mm or 7mm? before shooting it again!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
get it rebarreled. don't even waste your time trying different ammo. if you are alright in your shooting form..(not flinching)..then different ammo isn't going to solve your problem. your talking tens of inches here,different ammo simply doesn't vary that much..at 100 yds you might see a few inches variation between brands or even bullet weight for that matter..but not as much as in your case.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
Was the bolt changed to accomodate the scope? A common practice when sporterizing old Mausers years ago. Head space may be wrong. Of course shooting 7mm out of an 8mm rifle would too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either the 8mm or the 7mm mauser cartridges for easstern US hunting. Both are great for the purpose

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Jericho said:
I also think that there is a chance that this rifle is
a 8x57mm and not a 7x57.
That's my thinking also. The 7x57 is very close dimensionally to the 8x57. The case will form to 8x57 dimesions when fired. If the necks can't expand enough to fill the chanber they will split as yours are doing.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
I should add, that 7mm Mausers are usually referred to as Spanish Mausers, because the 7mm Mauser was the official military cartridge of Spain and most of her colonies. While some "Spanish" Mausers were made in Germany, I don't believe Germany ever adopted the 7mm as an official cartridge for it's forces. It did switch from the .318 8mm Mauser to the .321 8mm Mauser. one known as the 8 mm J and the other as the 8 mm S cartridge. AQlthough I don't recall which is which. There were also another 8 mm cartridge that would fit in the 8mm mauser chamber. it was an 8mm x 56. I had a sporterized 8mm German Mauser and the bolt was swapped for a bent bolt handle which wouldn't interfere with the scope. The head space changed. The gunsmith said to fire 8x56 ammo, which is about as rare as a platypus.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
sometimes just having a new crown on the muzzle brings them back to good accuracy. It is a shame so many folks just want to cut and hack so many perfectly good mil surps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts