The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just purchased the gun is a sako with a luepold scope. I honestly do not know much about the caliber. I have heard it is a great deer round. Does anyone hunt with one? And is there more knock down power then say the 30/30? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don't really know how it compares to a 30-30 but it has worked pretty darn well for me on deer out to 275 yards. I also killed a bear with it this past season. Very versatile cartridge.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
the 7mm 08 is a necked down 308 win ,well deserved reputation as a mild recoiling,absolute deer slayer...the choice of 7mm bullets is seeminly endless...great pick up

·
Registered
536 Posts
Congrats on picking a great deer cartridge that has more power than a .30-30 Win.
My wife has one and really enjoys shooting it with the mild recoil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys guys. I have not yet shot the gun but I have been researching since last night and see that it is more then powerful enough for whitetail. I also so were guys use them for elk with heavy loads of course.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I own a 7mm-o8 Remington MT RIFLE.One great caliber.great on deer.Great knock down power and very accurate.I have a SWAROVSKI 3x9 on top of it..Great shooter.Nothing bad to say about this gun.I think you made a great investment.GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I lost a large buck to the 7mm-08...I never lost a buck with my 7mm magnum..I am trying lighter bullets at higher velocities trying to mirror the results of the 7mm magnum..I am getting 3000 FPS from a 20 inch barrel and the barnes 120 grain TTSX...

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I shot a big bull elk a few years ago with mine, uses 140gr barnes XLC, dropped the bull where it stood, bullet went through both shoulders, with the proper bullet, I would hesitate to take it on a moose hunt.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
burk313 said:
I lost a large buck to the 7mm-08...I never lost a buck with my 7mm magnum..I am trying lighter bullets at higher velocities trying to mirror the results of the 7mm magnum..I am getting 3000 FPS from a 20 inch barrel and the barnes 120 grain TTSX...
It wasn't the gun's fault you lost the buck...it was shot placement.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Ghost said:
I shot a big bull elk a few years ago with mine, uses 140gr barnes XLC, dropped the bull where it stood, bullet went through both shoulders, with the proper bullet, I would hesitate to take it on a moose hunt.

I wouldn't. I'd just load a 150 Partition and head out Moose hunting. It nearly equals the 7X57 which has killed a lot of moose. Not to mention elephants..........................

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
bownut said:
burk313 said:
It wasn't the gun's fault you lost the buck...it was shot placement.

Bingo!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
triggercreep said:
Ghost said:

I wouldn't. I'd just load a 150 Partition and head out Moose hunting. It nearly equals the 7X57 which has killed a lot of moose. Not to mention elephants..........................
Yeah, that should read wouldnt, darn fat fingers.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
123britt321 said:
How are the entrance and exit holes along with blood trailing?
Like any other deer round it depends on the bullet. I've used 120 and 140 ballistic tips, 140 accubonds, 140 core lokts & 154 hornadys and they all perform well. The 140 ballistic tips are highly destructive but kill well. The accubonds are the bomb. My kid shot thru a buck end to end twice...2nd shot not needed obviously. Both went thru and thru.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I love the 7mm-08 great round for game and usually very accurate. When I was shooting high power silhouette back in the day the 7-08 was the caliber of choice due to accuracy, low recoil to shoot a 40 round match and plenty of energy to knock down the steel silhouettes. Rams were at 547 yards and most used the 168 grain Sierra to knock down those 55lb steel rams. My longest shot on a whitetail was with the 7-08 - 140 grain Sierra Game King at 386 yards and dropped in tracks. You will love that gun.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Great caliber. I don't think you'll have a problem with a blood trail. I have used 120 grain ballistic tips from my 7mm-08 for the last 17 years and have never had to blood trail a deer. I've been fortunate enough to never have one take a step.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
No deer ever walked the woods of PA that could survive a chest hit with a 7mm/08, none!! Use a good bullet, partition or X-bullet and go hunting..140 grain will give you great velocity and quick expansion that will flatten any deer without question....REMEMBER you must do your part when the shooting begins, no one could ever make me believe a deer could survive a direct chest hit from just about anything..heart and lung damage is fatal.. and you can add liver to the list, but it may take a while for that to be fatal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts