The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Browning BLR i have not shot at game yet but thinking of using it this deer season. I do not have the time in my season of life (just yet) to reload so im looking for any recommendations for factory loads. leaning towards Supperformance 139gr SST? does anyone have any feed back on these or others?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, posted here bc i specifically wanted feed back on on a hunting round not just something that patterns well on paper

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
My 7mm-08 likes the Federal Premiums with the 140 gr Barnes X-bullet. I have taken 2 deer with them in recent years and they both dropped within 20 yards.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
NanookOdaNorth said:
My 7mm-08 likes the Federal Premiums with the 140 gr Barnes X-bullet. I have taken 2 deer with them in recent years and they both dropped within 20 yards.
I HIGHLY recommend these shells as well....Lethal & very accurate !!!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have a model 7, 7mm-08 have shot lots of deer with it using both fed premium 140gr nosler ballistic tip, and hand loads with 140gr nosler partition

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
If you want a lighter bullet, anything loaded with the 120gr nosler ballistic tip will kill any deer walking this earth. It's jacket is actually a bit tougher than the 140gr ballistic tip, and the 139 sst. They're also usually a bit cheaper than loads using the Barnes bullets.

·
Super Moderator
27,191 Posts
While we're on the subject of 7mm-08, I need to start using lead free bullets over here (for my .308 also). Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lead free bullet?
I can get most US manufactured ammo here, so that's not an issue.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
BCozhunter said:
While we're on the subject of 7mm-08, I need to start using lead free bullets over here (for my .308 also). Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lead free bullet?
I can get most US manufactured ammo here, so that's not an issue.
Barnes TSX. They are offered in a good many factory loads. I would stay in the 130-150 grain range for deer size critters.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
My standard deer load in my 7mm-08 has always been IMR-4064 and a 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip...Flips deer right over !

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Anyone shooting Hornady GMX's in their 7mm08?

·
Registered
18,257 Posts
Remington core loks in 140 grain or the new federal whitetail ammo in 139 grain

the federal is less pricey, the factory 7mm-08 stuff will run you over 30 bucks a box and never seems to be on sale.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks like they no longer makes these. i believe because Rem bought Barnes? has anyone tried them since they switched to Nosler, partitions or ballistic tip

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have shot the Hornady Superformance 139gr. sst for awhile now. Great deer performance. Took the same combo to Africa last summer. Did great on everything up to and including Wildebeest and Gemsbok. The PH and his staff were big fans at the end of the two weeks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Forget Super performance. I will second Federal Premiums for super accurate factory ammo and Barnes bullets as the best choice. However, Remington or Winchester promo box soft points are more then sufficient for whitetail. Use the money you save per box on premium ammo to buy two boxes of Remington or Winchester and practice more. Trigger time......

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Whitetails are soft and crumple easily.

The 7-08 is PLENTY of gun. So try a few different loads (I'd start with the least expensive ones) and find what shoots acceptable groups. Use that one. It will kill whitetails no matter what name is on the box.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
The 7-08 is a great varmint round. If used on deer with a 140 grain bullet, it's marginal at best. I would go with the 30-30, it's just as powerful as the 30-06 but works better in lever guns.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts