The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
They are both excellent deer calibers. You couldn't go wrong with either. I shoot a 7MM-08

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Stikbow said:
They are both excellent deer calibers. You couldn't go wrong with either. I shoot a 7MM-08
My son shoots an 7mm-08 nice cali.....Ammo for a 308 is much cheaper and easier to find.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Stikbow said:
I feel the same way. I've owned and killed deer with both. Strictly from a personal point of view, I just like the .308 better.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Been shooting the 308 for around 30 years and the 708 for 17 years what one will do the other will do ammo is cheaper for the 308 the 708 has less recoil IMHO if that means anything

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
If your a gun nut that likes to crunch numbers, the ballistics numbers of the 7mm-08 look better. Haven't found that in the field though. I have killed deer with both calibers, and every deer I ever shot with a 7mm-08 or Mauser I ended up with a blood trail that I needed to follow for recovery, not so with the 308. I know it might of been nothing but shot placement, but.
As for recoil, if you compare apples to apples, same brand ammo, same weight bullet and exactly same model gun, the 7mm-08 will probably have less felt recoil but it's not that much of a difference that it should affect ones marksmanship.
If your going to hunt bear, I would definitely go with the 308 due to the larger caliber, and would not even hesitate to use it for elk , if it's the only gun I have. I can't say the same for the 7mm-08.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'm a .308 fan, but I wouldn't mind owning a 7mm-08 just because..... I like guns. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
turkey4life said:
why the 308 or 7mm-08 when you can have the 300win mag, 30-06,7mm mag, .270,25-06, .257 or .243????????
It's his thread and that's what he asked for.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Well if the story I posted about the Elk taking 14 hits from a 7mm-08 is true then the correct choice in this thread would be the .308.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Mike, that story is so far fetched and unbelievable that further scrutiny is not needed..Bottom line, the 30-06 is an all-around (marginal) cartridge, the 308 is less..>> a 30/30 magnum and nothing more...The 7mm-08 was born as a need to improve on the 308, which it does in spades!

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Big Ken said:
Mike, that story is so far fetched and unbelievable that further scrutiny is not needed..Bottom line, the 30-06 is an all-around (marginal) cartridge, the 308 is less..>> a 30/30 magnum and nothing more...The 7mm-08 was born as a need to improve on the 308, which it does in spades!

I'm actually starting to believe that story and I'm slowly convincing myself that nothing under .30 cal. is adequate for big game.

BTW, thanks for the brass.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Big Ken said:
I suppose you also believe that the .270 is a miracle cartridge?

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you want to read a good debate on those cartridges go to 24HourCampfire and look it up. Pretty sure there was a thread that went on well over 200 pages. By the time they were done arguing, I think it was about a draw.

The 308 is a better choice if you don't reload your own ammo, as there are far more factory offerings. Factory loads for the 7mm-08 are getting more numerous and better, but it is still at it's best with handloads. Bullet selection for both 7mm and 30 cal cartridges is ridiculous, to say the least.

Both are more than adequate for any hunting you would do in this state. It's pretty hard to beat the 7mm-08 (or 308) as the perfect whitetail cartridge for Pennsylvania.

I'm a 7mm-08 fan personally, and own two of them, as well as a 260. At some point I'll probably end up with a 308, too.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
This is probably the second most debated X vs. Y caliber, coming up just behind the good old .270 vs. .30-06.

A person could probably spend a lifetime on the internet and in the field and never have a concrete answer.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Big Ken said:

Ken, you might not have liked that story on his blog but you'll love this one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts