The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first year hunting bears. Does anyone have experience with bears and a 7-08? I have a box of 140 gr Federal Fusions, 140 gr Core Lokts, and a box of 139 gr Hornady SST. I'm pretty sure I am going to use the Fusions. Just want to make sure I am taking enough gun. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Load it with good bullets that shoot well, and if you do your part, the 7mm-08 will do the job just fine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Enough gun, if people say otherwise, don't get sucked in. as long as you put the round through the lung/heart area with that round, you'll be eating bear roasts....And use the Fusions if they are a shooter in your gun. bonded bullets will generally outperform cup and core bullets for deep penetrating, however, I wouldn't be against using any of the loads you listed.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Some will say it is light but I think a good hit will equal a bear. Most any caliber ok for whitetails will work for black bears aslong as it is above 22 caliber in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I'm using the 7mm-08 for bear this year. A good hit in the vitals will easily bring one down for you. Good luck!

Mac

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I shot a 617 pound bear with a 7mm08, trust me it worked just fine!

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
*Moose said:
I'd use something more toughly constructed than the SST.

Why?? They are of well proven Hornady InterLock construction. Mebbie your referring to lighter non-interlock SST tipped varmit bullets.

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
bohunr said:
my son killed his bear in PA with his savage 7mm-08 using remington 140 grain core lokts

7mm-08 is plenty big enough for black bear
Amen!!
Will be carrying my 6.5X55 Swede on Saturday and do not feel undergunned at all!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have killed a 220lb and 400 lb bear both with 7mm-08. I reload 150 grain nosler partitions and it works better than I ever thought it would. I really think in any gun it is bullet rather than gun. I love the partition, it drives and expands doing everything you need , especially on a bear.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Loggy, those interlocks can separate easy enough. It's kind of along the same lines as using a nobler ballistic tip. For a smaller caliber like the 7mm-08 I agree, I'd want something a little tougher. The interbonds by Hornady would work well, along with accubonds, partitions, and Barnes x bullets, just to name a few. That's just my personal preference though. I'm sure plenty of bears have been killed with sst bullets.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I hardly think the heart or lung area of a bear would notice that the bullet is traveling 200 fps slower than the 7mm mag.. if you do your part with a good bullet it will take out any bear of any size that walks anywhere in north america!! Get yourself some nosler partitions or barnes triple shocks and have at it, great little cartridge.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Loggy said:
bohunr said:
my son killed his bear in PA with his savage 7mm-08 using remington 140 grain core lokts

7mm-08 is plenty big enough for black bear
Amen!!
Will be carrying my 6.5X55 Swede on Saturday and do not feel undergunned at all!

Anybody ever tell you that feelings sometimes lie?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My brother killed a 320lb WV bear at 107 yds 2 years ago with 1 shot from my Savage 7-08 with 140 grain Partitions. Quick kill and the caliber is adequate, but I have yet to carry it for bear, I take my 35 whelen or 444. As with any weapon, place your shot with a well constructed bullet and you will have a dead animal.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
Loggy said:
*Moose said:
I'd use something more toughly constructed than the SST.

Why?? They are of well proven Hornady InterLock construction. Mebbie your referring to lighter non-interlock SST tipped varmit bullets.
I've used the sst's in both my .308 and 300 wsm.I've killed a bunch of deer with them and shot them through different media to see how they expand.In my experience they expand every bit as rapidly as a ballstic tip.Not saying they won't kill a bear but I'd use a bonded bullet like an accubond or a partition.

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
My Dad killed 5 black bear with largest being 383 lbs. He shot the elcheapo $10/box Rem thin skinned corelokts out of his 06. All were one shot/quick kills. He never shot any of the modern day <span style="font-style: italic">bonded</span> bullets. Go figure! lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts