The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a replacement stock for my son's Rem 788 .308. The original must be walnut because its a lot heavier than other 788's I've handled. Saw Ramline had one. Not looking to spend McMillan money, just a decent stock for a decent price.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My buddy had a Ramline snap in half at the wrist on his Remington 600 on the first morning of rifle season. They are cheap. You get a McMillan you get a stock for life. If I didn't want to pay for a McMillan Id get a Boyds walnut or laminate.

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
Bought a used 788 several years ago that was mint but for the chopped-up original stock. Midway had Ramlines on sale at the time for $69. Problem solved and no issues with it since.

There was a feller named Kokolus that made reproduction factory stocks for quite a number of rifles and was up around Dubois, but he passed away a coupla years ago. No idea if someone took his operation over or not, but he made nice walnut stocks for not much money.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Ordered a Champion/Ramline tonight.

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
If you're in need of spare magazines, know that Gun Parts/Numerich Arms makes some pretty good repros at a decent price.

When they introduced them a few years ago, they brought some along to the Harrisburg outdoors show and pretty much sold out within the first half of the show. Their booth manager told me he had no idea there were that many M788s in PA.

The following year they brought more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts