The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Holy smokes. Another whopper bear with the crossbow this season.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
"I shot and it stood up, growled and it ran right at me," Colyer said. "I told the warden it weighed 400 pounds. He said, 'I don't know where you learned to estimate weight.'"
I wonder how fast he ran away. I might still be running if I was him.
That is a huge bear. Congrats to the hunter.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Interesting article.
Curious question now - how long does it take to reload a crossbow?
I am in no way familiar with crossbows just wondering now after reading the part where the bear ran at him after he shot. Maybe there was no possibilty for a second shot anyways at this time because assuming an animal within 50 yards is running at you with any single projectile weapon you need to be pretty quick at reloading.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
If a bear was running towards you from 50 yards,you would need to run.You could never reload a crossbow before it got to you.If he had a single projectile firearm he would have time to reload.A compound bow would have given a possible second shot.An arrow will not stop any animal in its tracks though.So I guess to answer your question it would be longer than the time for the bear to get to him.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Assuming the bear could run 20 mph, it would cover that ground (50 yards) in less than 6 seconds......not long enough to reload a crossbow.....

·
Registered
707 Posts
Atleast the way I reload a xbow. I guess he would have to eat me.Each year we seem to get these monsters out of that region. With xbow and guys hunting on the ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts