The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to find a good, used 7600 in 35 whelen??

they never chambered the 760 in 35 whelen did they??

what configurations were made in 35 whelen??

i been thinking about my next big game rifle...i want somethin that'll knock the snot outta most anything...just because i can...but dont want a magnum or a bolt gun...wanted a lever or a pump...the 7600 in 35 whelen seems like it fits the bill very nicely..a quick handling rifle perfect for my kinda huntin..i was going with a lever gun, but jumping in the trucks after the drive means jackin shells out of a lever gun..thats a pain and thats when many hunting incidents happen..even from expirienced gun handlers..long day, cold hands..stuff happens..

i didnt think the 760/7600 was chambered in anything larger than 3006...but the whelen seems like it'll take down anything in North America pretty easily...and will make a dandy deer/bear drive rifle in PA..

thanx for any info...ideally id like a 760 carbine...or 760..but from what ive found looks like itll be a full sized 7600?

·
Registered
699 Posts
There are five on Gunbroker right now. I do not believe they ever chambered the 760 in the Whelen, but they certainly made a run of them in the 7600. They had 22" barrels. I have heard of some people having the barrel cut down to 18" and it still maintained it's accuracy. I think that would be an sweet little carbine to carry!! I will say, the Whelen is certainly a snott knocking round.
If you re-consider the thought of a lever gun, the Marlin Guide gun in a 45-70 will thump any game here in Pa. with authority !!

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx valkrider...i did search gunbroker and found a few...just didnt know if i got lucky as theres a few on there, or if theres some out there to be had...

cutting the barrel already crossed my mind...4-5" of barrel length will make a big difference busting brush...could go down to 16 1/16ths and be legal i do believe...but i doubt id go THAT short...

after finding they chamber the 7600 in 35 whelen i really wont consider a lever gun...im in and out of the truck about once an hour on a typical drive...dropping a mag and ejecting a shell is much easier and safer than cycling through a lever gun...

i just want a fast handling, snot knocker...and the 7600 in 35 whelen seems to really fit that bill...mainly for PA deer and bear drives..

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
they never made the 760 in whelen. they also never made the 7600 carbine in whelen. i wish they would. i keep hoping grices does a special run of them like they did the 35 rem 7600 carbine a few times. i got one and it is indeed sweet. big difference in knocking that 4" off the barrel. i considered getting the 7600 whelen and getting it chopped off but theres other things i want. i also wish grice would do a 280 in carbine along with the 270. i would buy them all. for the record, the 760 carbine came in 35 rem, 30/06, 270, 280 and 308.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would love to have one, too. The carbine model was never chambered in 35 Whelen tho. The '06 and .308 was. Now only the '06 is, however, they do make a police model in .308 with a 16.5" barrel and ghost ring sights. That would make an awesome brush beatin rifle. I would watch on how short to cut the barrel, there's alotta powder to burn off in those cases and the heavy 250gr. slugs could use the the extra length of twist...IMO

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
The Whelen's case capacity is about 40% greater than the .35 Remington's...My 18.5" Whelen easily tops 2600 fps with a 200 grain bullet; .35 Remingtons with 22" barrels barely exceed 2000 fps....never chrono'd a short barrel .35 but stands to reason its velocity would be even less than that of a 22" barreled .35 Rem.....

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I agree with Bob here... apples to oranges when comparing the two calibers.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have had a 7600 35 Whelen since 1989 and it is a whole lot of rifle I haven’t used it in several seasons. Its factory stock with its 22 inch barrel and I use 200 grain Hornady with IMR 4320 or a factory 250 grain round nose. I have just brought it out this year and may even get it into the rotation. But even if I cut a few inches off the thing it would never be a 35 Rem I know I have a M14 Remington in 35 Rem. Oh buy the way I would jump on one if I was you.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I also have to agree with Bob. Rule of thumb seems to be you lose about 100fps. per inch of barrel removed. Removing 4" off a Whelen you lose about 400fps. All things being equal (18" barrels & bullet weight) the Whelen will still come out ahead in ballistics. JMO

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
the .35 Remington is capable of more than the 2,000 fps 200 gr. loads you are referring too. Check out Buffalo Bore or Hornady Leverevolution and all the sudden it isn't so "apples to oranges".

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
My .35 whelen shoots 250 grain pills faster than my .35 remington shoots 180-200 grainers. 450-500 fps faster. And that's out of a 22" tube on both lead slingers.

Funny thing is, my .35 Whelen isn't even loaded to a max level. It's hovering above the 3/4 mark on case use while the .35 Remmy is all tinkered out.

That is apples to oranges... atleast in my book.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I wouldn't say comparing these two cartridges are like comparing apples to oranges, more like red apples to green apples, just a little different.
I would like to have either in a carbine pump, don't think the intended target would know the difference of a few hundred fps in velocity. Both would produce a nice size hole.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts