The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I already have my mind made up on a carbine, but would like to hear if anyone has any input on accuracy between the 2 barrel lengths. If any?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You lose a tiny bit of muzzle velocity with the carbine, accuracy is the same. A remmy carbine is for fast action in the thick stuff, don't even worry about shooting long distance with it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Shot my farthest deer with the carbine 200+ yds with 180 round nose bullets. Don't worry about a few inches of barrel. Mine is very accurate. If YOU can shoot it, it will handle reasonably long shots if presented even though it is not the gun you might pick if you knew you would get a long one.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My 18 1/2" Carbine is very accurate, more than it really has to be considering I bought it to hunt the thick stuff. It is one of my favorite firearms.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have found no difference in accuracy with carbines and rifles. if anything, theoretically the carbine may be more accurate due to the fact that it is free floated and shorter barrel would be stiffer but you probably wouldn't notice it. i have rifles and carbines and much prefer the carbines. get the trigger cleaned up a bit and it will shoot better than most people can.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've made all but one of my 7600's carbines, that one was already a factory carbine 06! Cut three 35 whelens down . All accurate.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
You lose a tiny bit of muzzle velocity with the carbine, accuracy is the same. A remmy carbine is for fast action in the thick stuff, don't even worry about shooting long distance with it.
A little bit? You'll lose 100-200 fps. That is real world through the chronograph numbers, not some pipe dream theory.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
300winmagfan said:
Joe the Logger said:
A little bit? You'll lose 100-200 fps. That is real world through the chronograph numbers, not some pipe dream theory.
The deer won't notice a bit of velocity difference...

·
Banned
139 Posts
That would all depend what you're trying to achieve with your rifle. If your shots are sure to be within 250 yards have at it. And deer ain't the whole ballgame.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I will gladly give up some velocity to gain the portability advantage in thick cover that the carbine provides.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
+ 1 Raspy ! Funny how deer don't read magazines that tell you what the best gun or load is. LOL! A Pa hunter with a lick of sense is going to take his carbine in the bushes and make drives. His shots will be quick and close. I absolutely agree the stubby guns will make a long shot, but thats not what they are made for, or used for, for the most part. I consider that 1 to 200 FPS "little", in the scope of the nanoseconds before the bullet strikes. The deer, oddly enough, does not consider it at all !

·
Banned
139 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
+ 1 Raspy ! Funny how deer don't read magazines that tell you what the best gun or load is. LOL! A Pa hunter with a lick of sense is going to take his carbine in the bushes and make drives. His shots will be quick and close. I absolutely agree the stubby guns will make a long shot, but thats not what they are made for, or used for, for the most part. I consider that 1 to 200 FPS "little", in the scope of the nanoseconds before the bullet strikes. The deer, oddly enough, does not consider it at all !

Interestingly enough that 1-200 fps that doesn't matter or make any difference, is the same 1-200 fps that usually leads the shooter to buy a .30-06 instead of a .308. Why don't we all tout the .300 Savage as a ballistic equal to the .30-06? After all that few hundred fps doesn't mean anything right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I killed a bear years ago in a very thick laurel patch in Cameron county. A carbine would have been ideal for that situation. But 100 yards away from that thick mess, the woods were very open and a very long shot could have presented itself. That's why I asked about accuracy. Thanks.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Baarhunter said:
I killed a bear years ago in a very thick laurel patch in Cameron county. A carbine would have been ideal for that situation. But 100 yards away from that thick mess, the woods were very open and a very long shot could have presented itself. That's why I asked about accuracy. Thanks.

Accuracy is usually better out of a short tube. Less vibration than a long barrel and that helps accuracy. Reduced velocities don't work in your favor for a long shot however. Depends on your definition of long I guess. If 200 yards is your long shot, go with the carbine.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
300winmagfan said:
Joe the Logger said:

Interestingly enough that 1-200 fps that doesn't matter or make any difference, is the same 1-200 fps that usually leads the shooter to buy a .30-06 instead of a .308. Why don't we all tout the .300 Savage as a ballistic equal to the .30-06? After all that few hundred fps doesn't mean anything right?
Simply because, they are not equal...

That deer or bear won't be any more dead, if it's hit with a 2800 FPS bullet or a 3000 FPS bullet...

Most deer and bear are shoot at less then 100 yards....At that range, the difference of 100- 200 FPS is not going to make an bit of difference in the death of that animal....

I shoot a Remmy 788 7mm-08 and a Model 7 7mm-08 using the same Barnes TSX reload....Never have I had any issues with killing deer with either rifle despite the lost velocity from the 18" barrel of the 788 out to ranges over 200 yards...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Well, that testing has been done over and over....However...if you really want to know the difference...the average velocity loss was 140FPS. I shoot all of the fastest commercially produced cartridges made, plus alot of the wild boys. Years ago I could quote ballistics until I made you cry out in pain. What I learned after harvesting all the critters I have is that the person behind the gun is way more important than the gun itself. I delight in nothing more than watching a self proclaimed
"master" miss his mark, or eat his "expertise". In most hunting east of the big river, high velocity is not necesary for the distance, but its still alot of fun to own and shoot the bigger guns.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.