The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a post in the 760 thread asking about how to take these guns apart, but I figured I should make it a new topic. I have a 760 Gamemaster that I want to take apart to clean up the action. Specifically the slide tube. The pump is very stiff and I think that is where the problem is. Has anyone ever taken theirs apart? I've read a few things on different sites, and seem to get a few different answers. I tried one of them with no luck. Do I have to unscrew the tube to get the slide off?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Yes you have to unscrew the tube. You need a long shank screw driver or metal punch. It goes through the holes in the tube.
There's a rubber O ring inside the tube, probably your problem and will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The gun should obviously be unloaded.
open the action to reveal the two small holes in the tube.
A long pin or I use a small phillips head screw driver to rotate the tube, inserting it thru the holes in the tube. Rotate, counterclockwise. It is a long thread.

When you remove the forened wood and tube will be hangin without forward support, don't bent it. Dirt may be inside the forend tube. You can clean it with a patch and rod. Or you can remove it by closing the action(move it forward). If you take the action/forend assbly out, it can be difficult to get her back together.

I don't remember any o-rings on the 760, but they maybe there (or on the 7600)as anti-rattling devices?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I've replaced the o-rings on model 760's before. It's about an hour project but well worth it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the action. I tried to turn the tube out of the gun. Everything I used to try to turn it either bent or broke. I noticed a burr on one of the holes where someone had tried to take the tube off before. I filed that off hoping it would solve the problem, and it didn't. I am out of tools that fit in the holes to try anymore, so I guess I have to take it to a smith.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was going to tell you that a regular screw driver will not turn the tube.
The tube is held on with RED LOCTITE and must be heated until almost red hot before it will release. It will not hurt the blue.
You have to remove the forearm before you take it apart.
If the holes are rounded - you will need to drill them out to the next largest size until you get get them to clean up.
The tool to use is a Craftsman punch of the proper size.
Turn it a little at a time - because it will not want to come off and you can only get about 1/4th of a turn per every hole in the tube.
When it comes apart, the slide action, the barrel and the bolt will all come out at one time.
If you gun is as bad as it sounds, you will need to purchase a new bolt cover - plastic.
If the cover is gouged, it is probably worn and will fall out when you shoot the rifle anyways - so the time to replace it is now and not when it falls out.
I think a new one is like $5 at Grice Gun shop.
You also need to remove the trigger group before you take the tube loose.

The old model guns - you have to remove the forearm with the tube because there is a spacer that is spot welded to some of the barrels and others has a spacer that just sits between the barrel and the pump tube.

Any older model pump can be updated to a two piece slide tube and forearm if you can purchase the forearm and the slide that it bolts to. The spot weld will break off the barrel for the spacer if you hit it with a hammer.

The hard part - once you take it apart is getting it all back together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts