The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25,546 Posts
They're still in demand by many folks. On some of the "national" internet hunting/shooting sites, still see guys looking for them in various parts of the country.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured as much chatter as there is here about these that I should tip off the crowd.....this gun shouldn't last long.....fairly priced and I suspect if it was on GB it would be long gone by now.....

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I have 1 in a 700 bolt and it hits like a ton of bricks. Lots of energy. Some years back they were refered to as "the poor man's magnum".

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
I'm not sure how big of a demand there really is.Every time grice runs a special order,they last quite a while.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Grice don't sell them for $575, with dies either. They aren't "rare" but are a little harder to find than other calibers.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
If Grice's ordered the 7600 35 whelen carbine, they would sell them all before they got them in the store.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I would buy one, maybe two or three depending on when they come out. Absolutely the perfect PA rifle in my opinion.

Mac

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
If Grice's ordered the 7600 35 whelen carbine, they would sell them all before they got them in the store.
Amen to that !...I'd be the first one to order !....With such a desirable gun, can't figure out why they haven't done it !

·
Registered
25,546 Posts
I'm not sure how big of a demand there really is.Every time grice runs a special order,they last quite a while.
Sometimes it takes awhile for the word to get out, but most special runs eventually do well, IF they're something that people really want?

Years ago Grice's had about a half dozen "non-catalogue" M700ADL synthetics made. The gunshop near camp had them in the racks and some went quickly, others were there for over a year or so. IIRC, the ones in 6mm Rem, 260 Rem, 257 Roberts and 25-06 were the first ones to disappear. Two years later there was still one in the rack in some mag variation, probably 300 win?

Grice's Rem pumps seem to be fairly popular, but they don't always seem to sell within the first year. Several other distributors do the same special run things in other parts of the country.

But they ain't like the last roll or TP or the last jug of milk on store shelves, with a winter storm coming.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
I'm not arguing,just curious as to why it's so desirable.You can already get a 30-06 in the same gun and you won't kill any more deer with a .35 whelen than you will the 30-06.Cutting 3 1/2 inches off the barrel doesn't shave any noticeable weight off but you lose significant velocity and increase muzzle blast.

I suppose the "coolness"factor is reason enough to want one but I don't understand why anyone would think they'd be at any more of an advantage using one.

·
Registered
398 Posts
dce Depends on the application? 35Wh in a 7600 carbine sounds like a dandy thicket gun to me. Short barrel (better manueverability), fat bullet (less deflection than '06 or smaller diameter) plus the quick follow up with the slide action. Total guess work here. New thread on this exact combo might get some nice replies.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The popularity problem is, I think, that the current new generation of hunters are fewer and have been brought up on bolt and single shot guns by TV hunters and magazines, so pump and lever guns are considered too "old school". As for me, I like'em all.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
MrC said:
dce Depends on the application? 35Wh in a 7600 carbine sounds like a dandy thicket gun to me. Short barrel (better manueverability), fat bullet (less deflection than '06 or smaller diameter) plus the quick follow up with the slide action. Total guess work here. New thread on this exact combo might get some nice replies.
Again,not arguing.I'm not a big 7600 fan.I don't dislike them.I just don't see any advantage to them.That said,I do agree that a .35 whelen in a carbine is kinda cool.I just don't see why it would be any better than a 30-06.Again,no deer would ever know the difference.Personally,I think a .356 win would be more suited in a 7600 carbine but that's just me.In fact,if it were offered,I'd probably get one just because it would be different.

·
Registered
398 Posts
dce I tend to agree. Deer would go down with either round. Just to expand a bit more to your curiosity....part of my point was that the loss in velocity wouldn't be significant enough to make the round ineffective at close range as in a thicket. As for the shorter barrel, the weight savings albeit important, was not as important as the length. I have a Ruger RSI in .308 with an 18 inch barrel that is much easier to carry through the thick stuff with the shorty barrel than my other rifles since I hand carry it in front of me. Thanks for the inquisition. Got the old cogwheels turning. MrC

1 - 20 of 34 Posts