The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1957 vintage 760 30-06 last fall in a trade. The gun has been neglected. Surface rust was removed by a wire brush by a previous owner. I have decided to do a mild custom job on it. Montour County Rifles will be doing the work. I am looking for ideas from you guys on a new finish, stock, perhaps shorten the barrel, etc. Let me know your thoughts, and what you would not do. Yes, I have shot it, and it shoots an inch group, even though it looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My brother had 760 carbine in 308 like that. He pick it up for $50 bucks and never did anything with it for 10 years.

Four years ago he had it sandblasted which required a trip to the gunsmith to have the barrel and bolt removed. He then had it finished in a dull black paint that you bake on.

He put on Bell and Carlson synthetic stocks in black and topped it with Williams tru glo rifle sights. A black leather Montana sling and it was time to go hunting.

He named it "little blackie" and loves the way it carries. He killed two does with it but no bucks yet.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i'd chop the barrel to 18", get it cerakoted and probably do a synthetic stock with a set of talley scope mounts and a nice little scope. ideal all-weather brush gun. of course this would not be cheap and you would probably never get your money out of it but it would be a nice gun.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds good! I have a new Ramline stock I got in a parts buy, do you know the going rate for a Cerakote job? I have had some georgeous bluing jobs done, but never one of the new finishes. Maybe i'll have it bored out to 35 and sell it to you ! LOL

·
Administrator
39,027 Posts
pumpgun said:
i'd chop the barrel to 18", get it cerakoted and probably do a synthetic stock with a set of talley scope mounts and a nice little scope. ideal all-weather brush gun. of course this would not be cheap and you would probably never get your money out of it but it would be a nice gun.
Now there's an idea!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
How about a .358 Winchester carbine with a good all weather finish, quality compact scope, open sights, and quick detach rings.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
looking for a cheap one myself to make into the ultimate driving rifle...

if im cutting a barrel though, its gunna be a shade longer than legal which is 16"..no sense in cutting a perfectly good barrel and stop half way! i realize you'll loose some velocity..but, that deer or bear aint gunna know he was hit by a bullet doing 2750fps not 2800fps..but, i want a gun to carry on drives in the thick nasty stuff..100yd shot would be about out of the question..

stock, synthetic would fare best for my use...but, i might go laminate..i just like wood stocks..

cant decide what i will do for sights...might go with a peep/ghost ring/holographic/red dot..cant decide on that yet lol..

id LOVE to find a 35 rem goin cheap...dont wanna spend money re-boring..but id like a 35 cal..

lots of things to do with the pumps...most guys dont do anything with em as they work just great as they are..

havent thought about the finish..but id need something durable..but it better be fairly cheap or it might be spray paint and i can redo it when it starts coming off lol..

i THINK 20ga 870 stocks fit but you'd have to read up on that i could be wrong...im looking for the gun before i start the build...

thats just what i personally want..though my 22" 760(0)s fare just fine as is..jumped my buck this year while pushing and dropped him at 10-15yds..he made it a leap out of his bed before i got the hammer dropped

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You can add a 6 position stock so very adjustable depending on how you are dressed. Collapse it down when you have to crawl on those nasty pushes. Just a thought.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have been looking for a cheap 06 or 308. My plans are to cut it down to 18 inches, bore it to either 338-06 or 358 depending on which 760 I find, cerakote it and camo dip a pistol grip synthic stock and top it with something like 1.5-5 leupold or the likes. Just a fun driving gun.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Not sure of the going rate on cerakote joe. There are places on the internet you can get quotes. I like the 16.5" idea too. The 20 gauge 870 stocks will fit so that gives you some options. If i was getting it bored, i'd do 358 or whelen. But leaving it '06 is good too and saves some money. If you want a real fast handling gun, put a long weaver rail on it and go with the scout scope setup. Lower power scope but you can't beat a scout scope for quick running shots.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
mauser06 said:

if im cutting a barrel though, its gunna be a shade longer than legal which is 16"..no sense in cutting a perfectly good barrel and stop half way! i realize you'll loose some velocity..but, that deer or bear aint gunna know he was hit by a bullet doing 2750fps not 2800fps..but, i want a gun to carry on drives in the thick nasty stuff..100yd shot would be about out of the question..

stock, synthetic would fare best for my use...but, i might go laminate..i just like wood stocks..

cant decide what i will do for sights...might go with a peep/ghost ring/holographic/red dot..cant decide on that yet lol..

id LOVE to find a 35 rem goin cheap...dont wanna spend money re-boring..but id like a 35 cal..

lots of things to do with the pumps...most guys dont do anything with em as they work just great as they are..

havent thought about the finish..but id need something durable..but it better be fairly cheap or it might be spray paint and i can redo it when it starts coming off lol..

i THINK 20ga 870 stocks fit but you'd have to read up on that i could be wrong...im looking for the gun before i start the build...

thats just what i personally want..though my 22" 760(0)s fare just fine as is..jumped my buck this year while pushing and dropped him at 10-15yds..he made it a leap out of his bed before i got the hammer dropped
You lose roughly 50 feet per second per inch on average. So if you chop a 22" barrel down to 16" you just lost approximately 300 fps. A big waste if you ask me.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I would rebarrel to .338-06 and have the receiver reblued and the wood restored if it were me.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
What Moose said, but in 35 Whelen. And if you need a short gun sell or trade for a 336 big bore. Who ever puts a wire brush to a rifle??? Many better ways to remove or stop more rust. If open sites are your deal use a good V-notch much better for snap shootin....later

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
What Moose said, but in 35 Whelen. And if you need a short gun sell or trade for a 336 big bore. Who ever puts a wire brush to a rifle??? Many better ways to remove or stop more rust. If open sites are your deal use a good V-notch much better for snap shootin....later
The .338-06 gets better velocity out of the 250 grain bullet than the Whelen does and with a better SD to boot. You also have more shoulder with the .338-06 so you don't have to worry about misfires like you do with the Whelen if your resizing die bumps the shoulder back. Of course you can adjust your sizing die to avoid this though.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep the thoughts coming boys, I appreciate it. I was only kidding about the rebore, I have nice Whelen and 338-06 rifles. This gun would not be a candidate for a factory style reblue, its too far gone in places to polish out. Maybe a bead blasted matte finish like a Remmy express ? I hate to see neglected guns, and I have saved quite a few of them. The mentality of a wire brush cleaning baffles me too, but thats what they did. When I decide I think I will do a before and after photo sequence. The wood stocks are totally OK, just need refinished if I go that way.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I like to have wood stocks on my rifles. I would go with a flat black duracoat or cerakote, a wood stock and a peep site.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
How about a parkerized finish on the metal, and a skeletonized AR style butt stock and a pistol grip type fore stock, ghost ring sites,shooting handloaded 220gr round nose bullets. That would be a cool driving gun!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
*Moose said:
mauser06 said:

You lose roughly 50 feet per second per inch on average. So if you chop a 22" barrel down to 16" you just lost approximately 300 fps. A big waste if you ask me.
Most guys cutting them down are losing more like 25 fps per inch lost. So now it'll act more like a 308. Plenty to kill anything in PA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts