The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your sitting in your stand this year say a prayer of thanks for these heroes, and I do mean heroes, that stormed those beaches and turned the tide of WW2. Without them who knows what world we would be living in right now. It was hard to hold back the tears when they were being interviewed. This will be the last major gathering for what is left of these vets. Thank you for my freedom.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The Greatest Generation. I have watched the last few days when the news was doing reports and interviews about these heroes. Somebody should approach the survivors that were at today's ceremony and try to write a book about their experiences before they are gone and a very important part of history goes to the grave with them.Watched the Normandy Ceremony from 5am till 7:30 this morning. Its put a chill up your spine and brought a few tears while I watched and kept thinking about the bravery and horrors these soldiers experienced as they stormed the beaches that day. I worked for a farmer in the 1970s, a quiet and well-mannered gentleman, he never mentioned he was in the service. Found out years later he was in the first wave to hit the beach that morning. The 97 year old parachuting onto the beach yesterday, like he had did 75 years before was amazing to watch and hear his interview. My next door neighbor is 97 years old and the last of only 2 men still alive from his Army group. He fought in the Ardennes Forest and the Battle of the Bulge.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Nothing but respect for this bunch of guys. My Dad was in a dive bomber in the Pacific. Respect for all our Vets.

Reactions: bad primer

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Unreal what those guys went through to take that beach. I walked the top of the cliffs when I was 15 or so....even then it was an eerie feeling walking through the old fox holes and craters. Heroes for sure.

Thanks to all those who served and have served!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Saw a clip yesterday of a girl interviewing collage kids and asking them about D-day. Didn't have a clue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
June 6 rings in my mind each year and I associate it with D-day each year. I remember my dad telling me of how he talked with civil war vets on the 75th anniversary of Gettysburg in 1938. Now it has come full circle to where someday a father will tell his children that he talked with a WWII vet on the 75th anniversary of D-day when he was 18. What people have gone through so that a "bad day" for me is losing electricity for a day in a storm. I will never forget their sacrifice and service.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
My Dad and I are both Vets and he is a WW2 Vet.He thinks the way those men were sacrificed and the way the whole invasion was played out was bad.He was in the Navy aboard a Destroyer and thinks they could have handled it way better.Now we all know that Germany had to be stopped but the whole invasion was put on by Roosevelt because the Russians were pressuring him to open another front to take the pressure off of them.Think about this.If Russia would have fell(which would have happened)we would not have had a Korean or Vietnam War.Even Patton told Ike that the Russians were gonna be a problem for us and he wanted to wipe em out.At the time Ike thought he was crazy but he had the right idea all along.Now we would have lost some more men before Germany would have been defeated but not near when you add up the losses in Korea and Vietnam and the Cold War.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts