The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here believe that the 7mm Rem mag has a significant advantage in either range or killing power over the .270 Winchester? I'm not saying it doesn't but I've always thought of the 7 mag as a longer, heavier .270. I'm not sure that there is any animal that I would hunt at any range with a 7mm Mag that I would not also do with a 270 Winchester. I think O'Conner expressed those same feelings in print as well if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Yea but why use either when you could use a 30-06?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You remember correctly. IMO 7mm's in any case is odd. yes the 7x57 was ok in it's day nice re-coil shy deer hunter. Just seems why not a 300 Sav. in those days. Also IMO take a jump like why have .270,.3006. .260,.280 and the 7's. Pick one then just get into the .300's (300rum) Ha Ha or win or weatherby, or (.308norma) HaHa full size not those silly short mags. (what are they) I forgot about the 25.06 how dose that fit in???? Guess if you want plenty of re-loadin fun, want to hunt some chucks, and hunt the thinner skined big game, There's the fit. Real good bullet's of today make for a nice .270 huntin round so I'll pick .270 and nice cause I have Mr. O' Conner's baby already...later

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Big Ken said:
Stoogey said:
Yea but why use either when you could use a 30-06?
Your kidding, aren't you?
Kidding about what? The total awesomeness and power of the 06? I would never kid about the truth.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
Personally I prefer the 30 calibers also.

However the .284 caliber has some great characteristics. Along with a fantastic selection of bullets. A larger selection than the .277 has(IMO).

I also like the ballistic coefficients and how they mate to the bullet weights. Especially the 175 that is available for the .284, which is not available for the .277.

Personally I see little use for .277 caliber cartridges. Especially the 270. I consider the 270 as a pretty much useless cartridge. BC's are not right for the right sized bullets. I like the .264 and .284 BC's considerably more.

So I see no need for a 270 in my gun safe. Bottom line is simple. If the .277 caliber was a good caliber then you would see alot more cartridges based on the caliber. And bottom line is there is only a couple cartridges based on the .277 caliber, and bullet selection is minimal.

If it wasn't for O'Connor the 270 would be in the grave. And I think his main reason for liking the 270 was so that he could be different. And so that mfrs. could sell more firearms. The 270 in it's best day has never been(even close)comparable to the 30-06. Just an opinion. But I have shot 10's of thousands of both cartridges down range.

Please do not mis-understand my post. The 270 is an adequate deer cartridge. No doubt about that. However it is limited in what it can do. And it is also limited by market forces. So my question is why limit yourself?? Tom.
I kind of like how my .270 limits deer to a short lifespan.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I like the 7mm I have a 7mm wsm and there is more bullets available in 7mm (284) than in .277. The 270 os ok on deer but the 7mm has higher bc. Plus there are many grain weights to choose from in the 7mm.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
Personally I prefer the 30 calibers also.

However the .284 caliber has some great characteristics. Along with a fantastic selection of bullets. A larger selection than the .277 has(IMO).

I also like the ballistic coefficients and how they mate to the bullet weights. Especially the 175 that is available for the .284, which is not available for the .277.

Personally I see little use for .277 caliber cartridges. Especially the 270. I consider the 270 as a pretty much useless cartridge. BC's are not right for the right sized bullets. I like the .264 and .284 BC's considerably more.

So I see no need for a 270 in my gun safe. Bottom line is simple. If the .277 caliber was a good caliber then you would see alot more cartridges based on the caliber. And bottom line is there is only a couple cartridges based on the .277 caliber, and bullet selection is minimal.

If it wasn't for O'Connor the 270 would be in the grave. And I think his main reason for liking the 270 was so that he could be different. And so that mfrs. could sell more firearms. The 270 in it's best day has never been(even close)comparable to the 30-06. Just an opinion. But I have shot 10's of thousands of both cartridges down range.

Please do not mis-understand my post. The 270 is an adequate deer cartridge. No doubt about that. However it is limited in what it can do. And it is also limited by market forces. So my question is why limit yourself?? Tom.
I have to agree with all your comments on the .264, .277, .284 and 30-06. I love the BC's for the .264 and .284. I've owned two 30-06, two 7mm mags and a 6.5x55, but never a .270. Something about it just never appealed to me. I do think it's a good whitetail and mule deer cartridge though. I just like the 7mm mag better for anything I'd use a .270 for. Plus, IMHO the 7mag is a better elk choice between the to with a little more oommph and better bullet selection/weights

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:

Why do you need to have more .277 caliber cartridges when you already have a perfect one in the .270? It will do the job on any animal you can hunt in North America. Kills them just the same as a 7mm Mag, .30.06, or a .300 Win Mag. I have several friends that guide elk in Colorado and the easterners are the butt of their jokes when they come out on a high priced trip with some magnums. They tell me that the locals know how to hunt so they can use a .270 or .280 whereas the easterners can't hunt or shoot so they compensate with a magnum.

Indians killed all the same critters with sticks and strings. They didn't need any .50 cal super ultra magnum to make up for their shortcomings. Nature had a way of taking care of those that couldn't hunt. Bottom line is if you know your weapon and know how to hunt, no weapon is better than another.

I personally sold my 7mm mag as I already had a .270 and couldn't see what a 7mm mag could provide other than more recoil.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Going on first trip out west in 2012. Jeff Smith, Seven J Outfitters told me flat out to go with the .300 win mag or something comparable.

Said it shoots flatter and hits harder. If you watch the outdoor channel you'll see his place on there a lot. I am sure he has seen a lot of stuff killed with a bunch of different calibers. I am going out there with a .300 win mag. Why compromise? I just don't get you a person would want to, unless you want to prove something to someone.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
The .270 is garbage, and would be nothing without Jack O'Connor.....

That being said, you are making an unfair comparison with the 7 mag and .270....

If you want an apples to apples comparison compare the .270, and the .280............and the .280 will win every time.....it can be loaded to identical ballistics to the 7 Mag, all the while remaining a standard length action........

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
You have to remember that when Jack was touting the .270 alot of the newer calibers weren't even around. I love my 7mm and have made some very long kill shots with it. Never owned a .270 but my brother has one and when he got his .300 win the .270 went into the safe and hasn't returned.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
A 7mm Magnum and 300 is everything a 270 is and more, albeit at the price of more weight and a longer barrel...Lug one of these around for a day and then shoot a deer at 50 yards and tell me it was worth it.But you need one "just in case" you ever hunt moose or hit the lottery and get a shot at a 600 lb. Pa. bear ,right?...Hey, more power to you!.I have plenty of confidence in myself and my 270...I own magnum rifles but they mostly gather dust, use them occasionally as a novelty..I've never really felt that I "needed" them on a long shot or a large animal.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
COME ON NOW BOYS...that's not even a level playing field.. the 7mm will do anyting that that little pipsqueek can do but the 270 will don nothing that the big man can do if you want it to... the 7mm loaded with nosler partitions can handle anything in North America with ease.. a good partition or X-bullet and it's all over but the picture taking.. I have nothing against the .270 and from 130 and down there's very little difference, dead is dead but from there up, that 200-300-400 fps adds up to be a substantial raise in actual energy on target.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
6-DASHER said:
COME ON NOW BOYS...that's not even a level playing field.. the 7mm will do anyting that that little pipsqueek can do but the 270 will don nothing that the big man can do if you want it to... the 7mm loaded with nosler partitions can handle anything in North America with ease.. a good partition or X-bullet and it's all over but the picture taking.. I have nothing against the .270 and from 130 and down there's very little difference, dead is dead but from there up, that 200-300-400 fps adds up to be a substantial raise in actual energy on target.

And you believe the .270 can't handle everything in North America?

My Grandfather told me that when he was stationed in Fairbanks AK a hunter shot what at that time was a world record Brown Bear in AK. It was killed with a .270 Winchester.

I also have talked with Canadian Moose hunters who tell me the .270 with a factory 150 grain puts the lights out on Bull Moose just as well as a 30-06 180.:)

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TedC54 said:
Going on first trip out west in 2012. Jeff Smith, Seven J Outfitters told me flat out to go with the .300 win mag or something comparable.

Said it shoots flatter and hits harder. If you watch the outdoor channel you'll see his place on there a lot. I am sure he has seen a lot of stuff killed with a bunch of different calibers. I am going out there with a .300 win mag. Why compromise? I just don't get you a person would want to, unless you want to prove something to someone.

Shoots flatter than a .270 130 grain? Really?

1 - 20 of 125 Posts