The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to get a new gun, and I've shot a 6mm Remington for a number of years, and now I cant seem to find one, I'm looking to hand load the rounds for it, and I was just wondering What is the principal difference between the 6mm rem and .243 win? I've been reading through my reloading book and it doesn't seem to help me the .243 is going to be significantly easier to find and I know of a gun I'd like to get if a .243 is the way I choose to go.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Ryan.

·
Registered
695 Posts
same bullet tips for the 6mm and the 243 but you can load more powder with the longer 6mm casings. I have both and hand load for both.
If you find it easier to purshase the 243 I would say do so. It is a great caliber

·
Registered
695 Posts
for target, groundhogs, deer? I have taken groundhogs out to 900 yds with my 6mm but wouldnt shoot deer at that range with it

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I believe years ago Remington came out with a 244 and it did not sell very well and was stopped a few years later they gave it a fancy name ( 6 MM ) and sales took off ,personaly i would stick with the 243 mainly because its alot more common and therefore cheaper to shoot and any differences would be so small in ballistics to make them a NON Issue when deciding

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
6MM and 243 are both very good calibers and very close to the same performance so close you should not notice the difference. The 6 MM can provide a bit more velocity and the 243 is more common to find guns and ammo. I went with the latter and I am very satisfied with both of my 243's.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a big predator hunter, so I'm gonna be clipping off coyotes with it, nothing else

Good reply Dave2pa nice to know some history on it

Ryan.

·
Registered
695 Posts
either will work just fine on yotes. I would just pick up a 243. I have several 243's and IMR 4350 works very well in all of them for reloading. Also H4831 sc

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sticker said:
either will work just fine on yotes. I would just pick up a 243. I have several 243's and IMR 4350 works very well in all of them for reloading. Also H4831 sc
Yeah to say I'm green to reloading is an understatement. I got a full unopened once owned RCBS complete rifle reloading kit for a real good deal ($50) and I've been itching to get something I wanted to reload with it. My one professor said he would help me get a load worked up and get the depth set for my Dyes. So hand loading will be how I do it

Ryan.

·
Registered
695 Posts
good that you will have some help to get started with the reloading. It is fun to work up loads and then use them for hunting.
If you have any questions when you start just pm me
good luck

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Except for being able to walk into any mom and pop hunting store and finding 243 win ammo, it's 6 of one a half dozen of the other.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll take you up on that for sure. I'll actually shoot you a PM quick with a different question

Ryan.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The 6mm is actually a better case design and will push the same weight bullet up to 100-150fps faster than the .243. Remington dropped the ball when they introduced the 6mm(aka .244). [Similarly the .280 Remington suffered poor marketing and confusion with name changes after its introduction.] In the end Winchester's .243 was marketed better and won the cartridge war. Either cartridge is a good choice for the reloader, but the 6mm can be pushed faster. The .243 wins hands down for the availability of factory offerings.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I beleive I seen two new 6mm at Trop gun shop the other day. I didnt even think they made them anymore. I have a Rem Model 7 youth 6mm I got 22 years ago. I love that gun and might carry it next hunting season over my 30 06.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
The 6 got a bad start due to the fact that is was originally offered in 1-12" twist barrels that don't often times don't see eye to eye with bullets in upwards of 90 grains. When it then was renamed the 6mm it was offered in a 1-9" twist which really helped it stabilize the heavier bullets more suitable for deer. Never really caught fire though as the 243 became a sensation. Another case of Remington burying a good caliber before it had a chance, hint 7mm Express fans

I have and reload for both, and with the exception of a little more powder capacity in the 6mm, differences are minimal.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just checked Remingtons website and they came out with Model 700™ CDL™ SF Limited Edition in only 6mm.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There are some 6's still out there, but if you want a new firearm, the choice seems slim - especially compared to the 243. Factory 243 ammunition is more abundant and less expensive. I've hunted deer with my 6mm for about 40 years using 100 gr. CoreLokts and used to warm up to deer season with 80 grains for woodchucks. I've only had to chase after 1 deer and that wasn't even a quarter mile. If I'd been given a 243 for my 12th birthday instead, I'm sure I'd be praising it just as well today. In fact, I gave my daughter a 243 and, though her tally is still small, she hasn't had to chase a deer yet. You're plenty fine either way.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I was in my buddies gun shop some time ago and he had a 244 sitting there 4 sale great condition. He told me the story just as you told it about the twist. It amazes me the domb things remington does like no common sence. Why wouldnt you push your own caliber { 6mm rem } instead the 243 winchester is offered probably in every model they make. The { 260 remington } sweet little caliber think you can only get it in a model 7. Yes there is more case capacity in the 6mm case than the 243 but options for products are better in the 243. If you really want either one to come to life buy either one take to a smith and open up to a 6mm x 284.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
JMO it's all in marketing. Remington brought out cartridges to fast one on top of another. Some take off like wild fire, like 7mmRem mag couldn't stop it. Since I'm now a .264 fan and as you said why??? with the .260 and the .350 I do think Rem. would chamber anything a guy could want from their custom shop. My one bud shoots a .243AI and it's sweet. I also remember the 6mm comein to light but just couldn't over power the .243.....later

1 - 20 of 42 Posts