The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I have 3 6x 284's. Reminton 700 243 rechambered to 284. I use winchester brass, For deer hunting i use the sierra 85 bthp. Powder 53 grains of imr 4350 vel. around 3450. Excellant choice for deer bullet very accurate and fragrements very well for efficient kills. My buddy has taken 24 bull elk with this caliber in Colorado usung the 100 grain nosler sb, they dont make that bulllet anymore but he is a dealer and purchased many k's of them. Recoil is very mild witht his caliber. The 284 case is a very strong case and has been wildcatted more than the original 284 ( 7mm ) has been used. Im actually going to sell one 700 factory stainless, laminated stock if interested.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually looking to just get Ammunition....or Brass and dies...so that i can have someone load this for me...I was given this gun a few months ago..it used to be my grandfathers who is no longer with us anymore...i am pretty sure he used to load his own but i can not find any brass...dies...ammo...Would you be willing to help me out? to get started?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It's a simple conversion using .284 w/w brass, if you can find any on the planet earth!! You can also use the norma 6.5/284 brass but you must use the right reamer when doing the chamber to make the brass fit right. There's a little difference in the case dimensions between the norma and the ole winchester. I bought reading conversion dies and it's only a couple of steps and some imperial case wax and then a fire forming shot to make it right..it's a little hard on barrels if you shoot it til' when it gets hot, so be careful not to overdue it, that's a lot of powder going down a .243 bore to say the least.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I can get you dies and brass. My buddy has a nice gun shop in my area i consider the 6-284 daddy since he had one since 1978. He always stocks redding 6-284 dies around 65.00 and winchester brass around 30.00 some a bag. How i do mine is i run them thru a 6.5 x284 die, than thru a 25x284 die than finish with the 6mm - 284 die. This takes them down in smaller incriments i have never split a neck where others i know using the step of form die has that issue. Or maybe domb luck for me but i have had good luck. Yes as pointed out they can be a barrel burner the price for high vel. If you need dies and brass i will help you out my buddy wont ship but i will do that for you.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay sounds good thanks....So would i have to buy all of those die sets seperately to do the process in which you use to size down to 6mm?

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
No, there is something i think called a trim die someone will pipe in and help me if im wrong. It will take it down that youcan use the 6-284 die. I had a set of 6.5 284 that i was going to do a build and never did, i also shoot a 25 x284 so of course i have dies for it. I just got the idea to do it that way. Keep in mind what your doing is taking a neck from .284 down to .243. I will be glad to help you out by doing this for if you want. Im off in winter months and have time on my hands. But keep one thing in mind your playing with a wildcat you need to understand the concept of what is being done. Wildcats arent for everyone. Let me know.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Mine are rem. factory 243 opened up so they are 1:9 0r 1:9 1/2 . For that size i would go with a 1:8 of course that would be custom barrel. They used to be 1:10 but sometime ago remington changed the twist. Out of mine all the 85 grainers shoot well some wont shoot the 100. I know of around 25 of these in my area due to my buddy promoting them as well he re-chambers them. My one shoting buddy tried the berger 95 they shot very well on paper and we even shot target out to 1100 yards. Of course we wouldnt try them hutning at that distance. I was with my other buddy that has taken all the elk i mentioned with it. His last 2 elk i was with him. One was at 600 yards he shot 3 times hitting 2 out of 3 and they waent the best hits either. The second year he took one at 250 yards it was hard to believe the damage it did. Seeing was believing. I have taken deer around here with the sierra 85 bthp and have dropped them right now.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
just so it's clear, you will need to find either 284 win brass or 6.5x284 brass and YOU will need to neck whichever you find down to 6x284. There is no 6x284 brass out there to be found...it's a wildcat. You may find once/twice fired/formed brass already sized to 6x284 but there's a good chance it may not fit your chamber. If your gun has a tight neck, you MAY need to neck turn. I suggest you find a competent gunsmith in your area (I suggest Bob Green in York) to go over the gun, find out the neck diameter (if it's not marked on the barrel already) and have him tell you what you need. If you find FL dies and have a tight neck, the dies may not be right for your gun. You need to find out the neck dia. first before you get anything.

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Just curious........ what are your intentions with thus gun?

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I inherited it from my grandfather who passed away about 15 years ago...It is a beautiful gun and I want to keep it in the family..shoot it...use it for predator and deer hunting...i shall upload pictures for you guys to see.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I dont want to be a smart azz but im a straight shooter. I offered you help on brass and dies you didnt take me up on it but asked for more help on finding items.
Why dont you put it back in the cabinet so you dont hurt yourself. Wildcats arent for everyone and i can tell its not for you.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put it back in the cabinet so i don't hurt myself???...what cabinet??...sorry your attempt at a joke was pretty lame buddy...if you cant be positive or dont have anything nice to say then move on.

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Very nice rifle.
A few thoughts - a 6mm-284 is a bit much for predators not to mention your gun will get beat up from predator hunting.

Take up the hobby of reloading. When you reach the level of wildcats you will appreciate his rifle.

Till then oil your gun and put it away to preserve its condition. Jmo

Btw - I am sure your grandfather had reloading equipment, see if it is still around. Perhaps you may find what you need

1 - 20 of 39 Posts